SUNDIAL 2 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1383280

Date first listed: 29-Feb-2000

Statutory Address: SUNDIAL 2 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SUNDIAL 2 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383280 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 16:53:50.

Location

Statutory Address: SUNDIAL 2 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Church Stretton

National Grid Reference: SO 45240 93659

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH STRETTON

SO4593 CHURCH STREET 1312-1/13/61 (East side) Sundial 2 metres south of south transept of Church of St Lawrence

GV II

Churchyard cross now sundial. Medieval, C18 and early C19. Sandstone ashlar. Former shaft head of churchyard cross converted to sundial. Shaft with carved cap and band below head and with traces of recessed carved ornament on shaft. Shaft set at the junction of the arms (now missing) of the former cross and is set into circular base made of former mill wheel. Mill wheel with initials T.W. and I.W. recorded as churchwardens in 1713. Brass dial overlaid with later replacement now with gnomon missing. Older plate has inscription: `Richard Beddoes, Thomas Haines, Churchwardens 1824'.





Listing NGR: SO4524093659

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 483698

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing