TEMPLE 160 METRES EAST OF MILLICHOPE PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383366
Date first listed:
15-Mar-1974
Statutory Address:
TEMPLE 160 METRES EAST OF MILLICHOPE PARK, MILLICHOPE PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of TEMPLE 160 METRES EAST OF MILLICHOPE PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383366.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:34:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
TEMPLE 160 METRES EAST OF MILLICHOPE PARK, MILLICHOPE PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Munslow
National Grid Reference:
SO 52817 88315

Details

MUNSLOW

SO58NW MILLICHOPE PARK 1312-1/11/166 Temple 160 metres east of Millichope 15/03/74 Park

GV II*

Memorial temple. Dated 1770. By George Steuart. Built as cenotaph for the More family. Ashlar with leaded domed roof. EXTERIOR: cylindrical structure set on a circular stylobate, with 8 Ionic pilasters surrounded by 8 Ionic columns supporting a plain entablature, moulded dentil cornice and leaded dome. 6-panelled entrance door in plain surround between pilasters with inscribed and dated plaque over. INTERIOR: moulded skirting, dado, cornice and coffered dome. Inscribed pedestal memorial surmounted with statue of winged cherub and globe on vase commemorating L More d.1744 and J More d.1763. Temple forms an eyecatching focus across a picturesque landscape of cliff-face, lake and lawn from the front of Millichope Park (qv).





Listing NGR: SO5281788315

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483784
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Dec 2005
Reference: IOE01/14052/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cousens. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].