CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1383399
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383399.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 20:48:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Abdon
National Grid Reference:
SO 56165 89591

Details

TUGFORD

SO58NE HOLDGATE 1312-1/12/207 Church of Holy Trinity 12/11/54

GV I

Church. C12 nave, C13 chancel and lower stage of tower, C15 upper stage of tower, restored 1894-5. MATERIALS: stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roof with ornamental ridge tiles and ashlar coped gables. PLAN: chancel, nave with south porch, and west tower. EXTERIOR: chancel with twin lancets in east wall. North wall with restored pointed window with twin cusped lancet and trefoil tracery, and lancet to right. South wall with flat-headed window of triple cusped lancet tracery, lancet to left. Pointed arched doorway to left. Sheila-na-gig set below eaves. Nave: north wall with 3 buttresses with ovolo-chamfered twin cusped lancet windows between. South wall with 3 buttresses with window to right and far left of restored ovolo-chamfered twin cusped lights with quatrefoil over. Round-arched Norman south doorway to left with 3 orders of shafts with carved capitals of volutes and foliage, hollow chamfered abaci, carved decorative beakhead inner arch, looped middle ring and zigzag outer ring and pellet and zigzag decorated hoodmould over. Late C19 rebuilt south porch. Tower: 2-stage tower with battered plinth and roll mould, 2 string courses at the upper stage, each incorporating gargoyles, stepped buttresses of former west wall of nave incorporated into tower walls, flat headed lancets on 3 faces at the bottom stage, bell-openings on each face at upper stage, with pointed arched openings, round-headed arched opening to the north and twin square-headed to the east. Battlemented parapet with carved corner pinnacles. INTERIOR: plastered nave and exposed stone chancel. C19 scissor-truss chancel roof. Aumbry in north wall and piscina in south wall set under reused pointed arched head. Restored pointed chancel arch. Restored 3-bay single-purlin nave roof with 3 arch-braced collar and tie beam trusses and 3 arch-braced collar intermediate trusses. C14 tomb recess with shallow pointed arch on the south wall. West wall has round-headed lancet at high level pre-dating the tower, C15 tower doorway with stepped segmental arch. Simple box pews, mostly of C17 doors fixed to C16 bench ends with ovolo-moulded caps, one has a small flat reading desk attached dated 1707. Pair of Jacobean seats with carved canopies against south wall and armorial bearings of 8 quarters over. Richly ornamented Norman chalice font said to be of the C12 Herefordshire school of carving. Simple C17 to C18 communion rails with turned balusters.



Listing NGR: SO5616489592

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483817
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13592/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Brittain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].