PARISH CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1383416
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383416.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 23:42:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Boraston
National Grid Reference:
SO 61350 70043

Details

BORASTON

SO67SW Parish Church 582-1/5/10 12/11/54

GV II

Church. C13, renewed and enlarged 1884-1887 by Henry Curzon. Stone rubble with ashlar dressing to nave, ashlar to chancel and lower stage of tower, upper stage of tower weatherboarded. Plain-tile roofs, with shingled broach spire. PLAN: chancel with north vestry, nave, tower with south porch. EXTERIOR: chancel with late C19 hipped apsidal east end with projecting raised gable-end with verge rafters on carved brackets, and east window of twin lancets surmounted by vesica. Lancets in Early English style to canted walls and south wall. Late C19 vestry with hipped tiled roof with door and 3-light mullion window, both with plain chamfered jambs with rounded tops. Ashlar ridge chimney with octagonal shaft. Nave: north wall with 3 restored cusped lancets and blocked plain Norman north doorway. South wall with restored cusped lancet to right and 2 C19 flat-headed windows with cusped ogee tracery. Vestiges of blocked Norman south doorway. Tower: lower stage with pointed arched south doorway with hoodmould over. Large cinquefoil window to west and lancet to north in Early English style. Upper stage of weatherboarded timber frame jettied off ashlar corbels. Timber bell-openings on each face with ogee lintels and louvres on cusped projecting mullions. Shingle covered broach spire with sprocket eaves. South porch set in angle of tower and nave. Steep tiled gabled roof with bargeboards, shingled apex to truss with carved tie beam with projecting cross set on bracket, cusped ogee arch set under tie, oak timber-framed side walls on high ashlar plinth. INTERIOR: 2-bay chancel consisting of single bay and apsidal bay. c1884 pulpit, chancel screen and lectern. 4-bay nave roof with 4 trusses of twin swept raking struts and one vertical strut all set below collar, chamfered tie beam with plain stepped chamfer stops. Restored single-purlin roof with scissor-trussed rafters. c1700 font has bowl with raised spirals with vestiges of earlier carving now eroded.





Listing NGR: SO6135070043

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483834
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16499/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].