BURFORD HOUSE AND GARDEN WALL ATTACHED TO THE SOUTH EAST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1383418

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: BURFORD HOUSE AND GARDEN WALL ATTACHED TO THE SOUTH EAST

Map

Ordnance survey map of BURFORD HOUSE AND GARDEN WALL ATTACHED TO THE SOUTH EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383418 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 05:41:00.

Location

Statutory Address: BURFORD HOUSE AND GARDEN WALL ATTACHED TO THE SOUTH EAST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Burford

National Grid Reference: SO 58215 67973

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURFORD

SO56NE Burford House and garden wall 582-1/8/19 attached to the south-east. 12/11/54

GV II*

House. Early to mid C18, reputed to be built in 1728 for William Bowles M.P., proprietor of the Vauxhall glass works. Restored and altered c1954 for John Treasure. Red brick with brick storey bands and brick parapet. Plain-tile roof with brick coped parapets and gables. Brick integral gable-end stacks with lateral and axial stacks. Double-pile plan with rear parallel extension. EXTERIOR: north front is a 3-storey 6-window range of tall 9/9 sashes to ground and first floors, and 6/6 second-floor sashes, all with gauged brick lintels. Early C19 central projecting porch with Doric columns and open pediment. Front door set in panelled reveals, with pair of glazed panelled doors with fanlight with radial glazing bars. Later brick wings on east and west sides now demolished. East side now with C20 multi-pane casements at ground and first floor. West side with C20 first-floor sash and ground-floor French windows with flanking casements, terrace to west formed from demolished wing and incorporating stone from base of medieval chimney. Rear: 3-storey 5-window range of 6/6 sashes with gauged brick lintels, central restored projecting porch mirroring the front porch and with glazed door and fanlight with festoon and radial glazing bars. INTERIOR: contains some good panelling to ground-floor rooms. The entrance hall has complete wall panelling, moulded cornices, 6-panelled doors, and elliptical arched panelled arcade. Brick walls approximately 3 metres high with weathered coping extending from the south-east corner of Burford House approximately 80 metres to the east and then 40 metres to the south.



Listing NGR: SO5821267972

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 483836

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing