CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383537
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HOPTON WAFERS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383537.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:12:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HOPTON WAFERS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hopton Wafers
National Grid Reference:
SO 63734 76544

Details

S06376 582-1/10/129

HOPTON WAFERS Church of St Michael

12/11/54

GV II* Church. 1827, restored 1892. Built for Thomas Botfield. Sandstone ashlar, with ashlar plinth. Slate roof with projecting eaves and verge supported on ornamental eaves corbels.

PLAN: nave incorporating chancel, south porch, west tower.

EXTERIOR: nave east window and four opposing side windows all in arched C19 Gothic-style, with mullions and simple foiled tracery. One south window covered by south porch with arched entrance opening and semi-castellated parapet. Tower: Romanesque-style round-headed windows with simple ornament at upper and lower stages. String courses. Roundel in middle stage to south. Parapet with pointed crenellation and corner pinnacles, over weathered string course.

INTERIOR: late C19 four-bay hammerbeam roof and chancel screen. West gallery with cast-iron embellishment. C12 font. Wall monument to Thomas Botfield d.1843 by EH Baily: large relief of reclining and kneeling figures. Other Classical wall monuments to John Hale d.1779; James Stanton and Ann his wife d.1817 by T Hare; Mrs Mary Hyde d.1778. West tower has fragment of C15 glass depicting angel.

Listing NGR: SO6373476544

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483968
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/13620/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ros Sargent. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].