CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383573
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383573.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:14:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Neen Sollars
National Grid Reference:
SO 66000 72274

Details

NEEN SOLLARS

SO67SE Church of All Saints 582-1/6/165 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. Late C13 and C14 with 1859 restoration and chancel rebuild. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roofs with ornamental ridges, ashlar-coped gable to chancel, partly tiled and partly shingled spire. PLAN: cruciform plan with chancel, north and south transepts and nave with south porch, all radiating from central crossing tower surmounted by broach spire. EXTERIOR: chancel with Decorated-style east window of 3 cusped lancets with trefoils and cinquefoil. C19 south window of triple cusped lancets. C19 diagonal buttresses. North transept: single cusped lancets in east wall and at high level in north wall. North door with ogee-chamfered pointed arch. South transept: south wall with restored 2-light window with quatrefoil and hoodmould. Blocked cusped lancet to west. Nave: broad cusped lancet to north. West window similar to south window of transept. Broad cusped lancet to right on south wall and south door with porch to left. South door is plain with C19 south porch which incorporates earlier trussed oak framing. Flat buttresses on west corners. Tower: cusped lancets on east and south faces. Tower with pyramid tiled roof surmounted with shingled broach spire. Timbered louvred lucarnes with cusped heads on each face at foot of spire. INTERIOR: chancel with 2-bay roof with restored painted arch-braced collared rafter roof with central truss with arch-braced principals. C19 stencilled plaster decoration and painted reredos. Crossing: panelled flat ceiling set between pointed arches each chamfered with plain abacus with roll moulding on 5-sided pillars. North transept: trussed-rafter roof of 7 cants formed with collar, arched braced rafters and ashlaring. South transept and nave with restored scissor-truss roofs. Spire: central mast, hip-rafters, spire hip-rafters with struts, all of probable C14 date, with C18 repairs. South transept contains the Conyngesby monument: alabaster canopied tomb to Humfrey Conyngesby, dated 1624, with central reclining figure in armour. Below are 2 panels of trophies of arms, the edge of the canopy arch decorated with red and blue alternate flowers, above are shields of arms and supporters surmounted by a figure of a coney. Arch spandrels have low-relief figures, pillars each side with capitals of mixed palms and Corinthian foliage, entablature with cherub's head, and surmounted by allegorical female figures.



Listing NGR: SO6600072274

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484005
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13620/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ros Sargent. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].