CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383593
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383593.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 00:30:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Abdon
National Grid Reference:
SO 57537 86605

Details

ABDON

SO58NE Church of St Margaret 482-1/1/2 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C14 rebuilt 1731. Stone rubble with ashlar dressing. Plain-tile roof with bargeboarded verge. PLAN: chancel and nave with bellcote and south porch. EXTERIOR: single-bay chancel. Restored east window in Decorated style of 2 cusped lancets with mouchettes under hoodmould with headstops. South wall with Decorated window of 2 cusped lancets with trefoil. 3-bay nave. North side with 3 paired lancets in Early English style. South side with similar paired lancets flanking south door. Doorway with ovolo-moulded 2-centred arch. South porch: restored roof with twin vertical strut truss with cambered tie beam, and slots in principals for single trenched purlin, set on porch walls. Bellcote: 2 arched bell openings under ashlar coped canopy. INTERIOR: chancel with single-bay single-purlin roof with swept wind braces on lower tier. West truss of twin raking struts with cambered tie beam. Nave: 3-bay double-purlin roof with 3 trusses and straight wind braces on lower 2 tiers. East truss abuts truss in chancel and has straight tie beam, king-post with 4 raking struts each side, 4 posts under tie beam forming tripartite chancel entrance. 2 arch-braced collar trusses. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 47).





Listing NGR: SO5753786605

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484025
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 47

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13592/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Brittain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].