CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1383675
Date first listed:
22-Jan-1998
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383675.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 16:57:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Caynham
National Grid Reference:
SO 57207 75234

Details

BITTERLEY

SO57NE KNOWBURY 482-1/6/88 Church of St Paul 22/01/98

GV II

Church. 1839, alterations and additions 1884. Coursed rubble to the earlier build and rusticated coursed stone to the later, both with ashlar dressings. Slate roof to earlier phase with tiles to later. PLAN: chancel with north chamber, nave with south porch, west tower with north vestry. EXTERIOR: chancel c1884. Decorated-style windows to south and one to east. Lean-to organ chamber to north. Nave of c1839 with 3 Decorated-style windows each side and single buttress to north. Projecting tiled gabled south porch with pine side walls set on coursed stone plinth. Tower c1839. 3-stage embattled tower with c1884 stair turret addition and north vestry extension. Pointed arched west door with Decorated-style window over at first stage, 2 twin cusped lancets at second stage, 4 Decorated louvred bell-chamber openings. INTERIOR: chancel with scissor-trussed rafter roof with 4 trusses with arched braces. Pointed chancel arch. Stained glass by Mayer of Munich in east window. Reredos in early German style. Nave roof of 6 bays, 2 purlins, 4 ornate pine scissor trusses with carved clasping collars and pendant hammerposts with cusped bracing to scissors.







Listing NGR: SO5720775234

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484107
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14792/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].