CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383711
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383711.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:12:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Coreley
National Grid Reference:
SO 61319 73994

Details

CORELEY

SO67SW Church of St Peter 482-1/11/123 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C13, altered 1757 and C19. Brick and moulded brick to chancel and nave on sandstone plinths. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar quoins to tower. Plain clay tiles to roofs, shingle to spire. PLAN: chancel, nave with south porch, tower. EXTERIOR: chancel and nave in Flemish bond C18 brick with brick string course and moulded brick cornice. Fenestration of stone cusped lancets set in C19 brick. 3-light cusped lancet east window. Coped brick gables to nave and chancel roofs of different heights. C19 brick porch. C13 tower with setback buttress to south-east, broad flat buttress to north-west. C13 lancet to west with reputed C13 reset glass. One lancet at both stages of south tower wall. Wood shingle spire on tiled base and lead squint flashes. INTERIOR: 4-bay nave roof with 2 purlins, king-post trusses with scalloped king post, principals and struts. 2-bay chancel roof with 2 purlins and C18 king-post truss with swept braces and principals. Brick chancel arch. Plain pulpit in Jacobean style. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth: 1958-: 113; An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire: Cranage D H S: 1895-).







Listing NGR: SO6131973994

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484143
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 113

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13620/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ros Sargent. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].