- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- HEATH CHAPEL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383722.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:52:28.
- Statutory Address:
- HEATH CHAPEL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 55730 85621
SO58NE Heath Chapel 482-1/1/137 12/11/54
Church. C12, late C17 alterations, c1870 repairs, restored 1912. Grey stone rubble with golden sandstone dressings. Plain-tile roofs. Chancel and nave only. EXTERIOR: chancel and nave with flat shallow buttresses at all corners and at mid-point of each wall. Continuous string course with chamfered top runs around the building, interrupted only by the south doorway and north window. One small slit window in each wall sitting on string course, the east and west windows piercing their respective buttresses, all with round heads and deep internal splays, except that to chancel south wall which has a flat lintel. The west gable end has 2 small windows within the gable apex and a flat-headed bell-opening slit between. All windows lattice- or square-leaded. Additional north oak chamfered mullioned window of nave is c1700. South doorway: C12 round headed doorway of 2 orders. Chevron carved design on hoodmould and outer order of arch, and roll moulding on inner. Plain tympanum. Plain abaci with chamfered undersides. Crude flat scroll capitals now mostly eroded. C19 restored grey stone shafts and bases. Door is cross-boarded and has medieval iron hinges. INTERIOR: chancel with medieval 2-bay roof of 3 trusses. Single chamfered tenoned purlin roof with no ridge piece, straight wind braces below purlin (one missing), rafters halved-over at apex, ashlaring at wall plate. 2 trusses to east have diminished principals with open ended mortice at the cut-back of the principal. Cambered chamfered tie beam with stepped stop-chamfer, and twin raking struts. C17 turned communion rails surround the alter. Reset medieval grave slab with raised cross. Reused medieval rood screen forms framing for benches and box pews against north wall. Double rebated round-headed chancel arch with 2 orders of shafts facing nave. Capitals on north side are a simple cushion and scallop with incised volutes. South capitals in form of a cushion with chevron under-mouldings, and cushion with pointed convex under-moulding. Simple under-chamfered hoodmould surrounds arch recesses. Plain under-chamfered abaci which continues as string course round complete interior of chapel. Nave: medieval 3-bay roof of 4 trusses, probably remodelled C17. Single trenched purlin roof with trench purlin addition to north pitch only. C19 restored rafters, ridge and wall plate. Trusses with steep but unevenly cambered tie beams, twin raking struts, diminishing principals, wall post with chamfered projection and base stop, and small swept chamfered wall brace. Wall paintings partly visible on nave walls: on south wall is medieval depiction of St George; on north wall is a depiction of a lion. Late C16 religious texts appear below string course on north and south walls of both nave and chancel. Cylindrical tub font of C12. 5 C17 box pews and 2-decker pulpit. Heath Chapel is nationally very remarkable as it has remained substantially unaltered in use, status, size and style. (An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire: Cranage D H S: 1895-: 96; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 147; Klein P: A Guide to The Heath Chapel Shropshire: Leominster: 1990-).
Listing NGR: SO5573185622
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 96
Klein, P , A Guide to the Heath Chapel, Shropshire, (1990)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 147
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing