CHURCH OF ST MILBURGA
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MILBURGA
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383737.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:52:47.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MILBURGA
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- Stoke St. Milborough
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 56634 82290
STOKE ST MILBOROUGH
SO58SE Church of St Milburga 482-1/3/193 12/11/54
Church. C13 and C15 with late C17 alterations, restored 1859 and 1911. Coursed stone rubble and stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roofs, ashlar coped to chancel. PLAN: chancel, nave with south porch, west tower. EXTERIOR: chancel with C19 Decorated 3-light east window with foil tracery. Early C15 north window of 3 cusped lancets. Decorated south window of 2 cusped lancets with quatrefoil over, with C17 cross-boarded door to right with reset flat stone lintel with diagonal dressing. Rugged lateral buttress at south-east corner. Nave north wall with 3 mid C19 arched 2-light windows with quatrefoil vesica. Buttresses with offsets, and low flat buttresses at corners. Restored square-headed window with leaded lights to east. South wall with simple C13 lancet to west, 2 early C14 windows of twin cusped lancets with lozenge over, C17 south doorway with segmental arch on plain abacus. 3 buttresses with setbacks and one blocked high-level window to east. Tower: C13 lower stages with splayed plinth below roll-moulded string course. First and second stages have lancets to south and west. The upper level of the second stage has twin lancets on 3 sides and is capped by corbelled course at former roof position. Upper stage is C15 bell-chamber, with twin cusped lancets on each side, and C17 rebuilt top including string course, castellated parapet, and pyramid roof. South porch: C17 tiled gabled porch with single tenoned-purlin roof. 2 cruck-framed trusses with collars. Outer truss with chamfered members and struts above. Inner truss with chamfered crucks only. Restored rafters and straight wind braces. Close-studded timber-frame with herringbone brick infill panels on stone rubble plinth. INTERIOR: chancel has 2-bay roof with 4 chamfered trenched purlins, with one chamfered arch-braced collar truss with raking struts. Moulded north wall plate reputed to be former rood-loft bressumer. Restored piscina with reset C14 carved stone. East window glass by Evans and Son of Shrewsbury. C17 panelling set around altar. Early C13 chancel arch of 2 orders with simple cavetto-moulded abacus, capitals of broad flat-leafed decoration much restored, and chamfered shafts. Nave has 5-bay chamfered double trenched-purlin roof with diagonally-set ridge, chamfered straight wind braces at both purlins with inverted additional bracing at lower purlin. 6 trusses: 4 arch-braced collar trusses with raking struts, with, at each end, 2 twin vertical-strut and collar trusses, that to the west infilled with later struts. One collar dated 1707 between inscribed initials. Triple-chamfered Early English tower arch with moulded capitals. C12 font with fluted bowl set on C20 stepped plinth. Vestiges of painted medieval wall plaster above chancel arch. Wall monuments in chancel: to Elizabeth Adams/Lucy d.1667. Latin tablet with 2 coats of arms and festoon between, round arched pediment surmounted with coats of arms, side pilasters, putti on brackets; to George Lee d.1673. Simple Latin inscribed tablet surmounted with an ornate coat of arms; to Edward Botterel d.1782. Large tablet with cornice surmounted with globe finial and coat of arms below; to Thomas Wall d.1772. Plain framed painted timber tablet with marbled painted timber backing surmounted with coat of arms. (Klein P: A Guide to Stoke St Milborough Parish Church: Leominster: 1992-; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 294).
Listing NGR: SO5663482290
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Klein, P , A Guide to Stoke St Milborough Parish Church, (1992)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 294
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing