CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1383760

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383760 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Feb-2019 at 22:52:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wheathill

National Grid Reference: SO 62107 79852

Details

WHEATHILL

SO67NW SILVINGTON 482-1/7/202 Church of St Michael 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C12 and C14 with C17 additions and alterations, C19 restoration. Rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roofs. PLAN: chancel, nave with south porch, and west tower asymmetrically set against nave. Nave in 2 widths, having been extended into part of chancel. EXTERIOR: chancel with restored paired cusped lancets on east and south sides. Nave north door blocked leaving C12 round arch exposed. 2 restored paired cusped lancets on both north and south sides of nave. South doorway has plain tympanum under bold roll-moulding set in recessed semicircular panel over tympanum, with scalloped capitals with cable-moulding, column shafts set in recess on C12 base to west and modified later base to east. Door is studded, boarded and cross-boarded with iron strap hinges, bearing date 1679. South porch: tiled gabled porch with round-arched entrance in stone walls dated 1662. Plain late C12 tower with Transitional west lancet and restored battlements. INTERIOR: plastered ceilings and walls. Restored pointed chancel arch. C17 carved timber panelling around altar. Late C12 pointed single-stepped tower arch set on hollow chamfered abaci and debased flat-leafed capitals, below which a diagonal inset cuts across the stepping of the responds. C12 plain circular font. Armorial tablet to Edward Mytton d.1683. Inscription over south porch entrance: "This porch was built by John Hil, Gent and Ursula his widow 1662". (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 289).



Listing NGR: SO6210779852

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 484192

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 289

End of official listing