CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1383775
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383775.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Apr-2020 at 07:52:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Richard's Castle (Shropshire)
National Grid Reference:
SO 49431 70658

Details

RICHARDS CASTLE

SO47SE BATCHCOTT 482-1/8/159 Church of All Saints 28/10/69

I

Parish church. 1892. By Richard Norman Shaw. Coursed rusticated Grinshill sandstone with ashlar dressings. Plain tiles with ashlar coped gables. PLAN: chancel, 3-bay nave with south aisle, south-west tower and north porch. 2-bay chancel with north vestry and south choir vestry. 3-stage tower incorporating south porch. EXTERIOR: chancel with 2 straight-headed Decorated-style windows with reticulated tracery to each of the north and south walls. Early Perpendicular-style 5-light east window. Angle buttresses. Vestries form a substructure to the west end of chancel with the wall of the organ loft breaking the chancel eaves line and rising to a raised battlemented parapet. Nave north wall with three 3-light cusped windows with reticulated tracery in Decorated style. Perpendicular-style west window of 5 cusped lancets. South aisle has 3 windows similar to the chancel. West window of the aisle in Decorated style with 3 cusped lancets and reticulated tracery, the east window with 2 cusped lancets with quatrefoil. Gabled north porch. Tower with diagonal buttresses to first stage. Battlemented parapet with pyramid roof. Upper stage set back at high level with corner pinnacles rising from the set-off. Wide pointed archway over 2 flights of entrance steps to south door. Stair turret to west. Simple 4-light stone mullioned window to south. Each face of the bell stage with double louvred windows of 2 cusped lancets with quatrefoil. INTERIOR: chancel roof of 5 arched braced trusses with plain double purlins and ridge. Sedilia and piscina. Vestry doorways have alternating boss carvings covering 3 intrados bands under a hoodmould with figurative label stops. Pointed chancel arch on foliated capitals. Nave roof of 8 trusses similar to chancel roof. South arcade of 3-bay pointed arches on unadorned columns. Oak pews, pulpit and doors by Norman Shaw. Reredos in medieval Burgundian style by Charles Buckeridge. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth: 1958-: 69).





Listing NGR: SO4943370658

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484207
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 69

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13505/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].