HIGH HALL FARMHOUSE INCLUDING CARTSHED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383893
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Oct-1999
Statutory Address:
HIGH HALL FARMHOUSE INCLUDING CARTSHED

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGH HALL FARMHOUSE INCLUDING CARTSHED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383893.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 00:19:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
HIGH HALL FARMHOUSE INCLUDING CARTSHED

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Dent
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
SD 70375 87610

Details

DENT

SD78NW DENTDALE 162-1/24/94 (North side) 16/03/54 High Hall Farmhouse including cartshed (Formerly Listed as: DENTDALE High Hall and cartshed and Barn to south-west of High Hall)

GV II*

Farmhouse. C17 in 2 builds (dated 1625 and 1665 on plaque at 1st floor); altered in C19 and part now used as a cart shed. Slobbered random rubble, stone slate roofs. Irregular T-plan formed by a single-depth main range of 2 wide units, on an east-west axis facing south, with one narrow bay added to the east at an early date, a large rear wing with a lean-to addition in the west angle and a larger lean-to addition to the north gable. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 4:1 windows. The 4-window symmetrical front of the main range was severely remodelled in the C19, and now has a doorway in the centre protected by a C20 glazed porch, 4 rectangular 2-light casements on each floor (each leaf with a horizontal glazing bar), and a re-located plaque to the left of the 4th window lettered "...ificat Per T/W M 1625 Reaedificicat Per T/R D 1665" (RT=Richard Trotter). At the left gable is a very large external chimney stack which has 3 slated offsets, a slate cornice and a stout cylindrical shaft; and at the junction to the right is another square chimney with a similar shaft. The added bay at the east end has a 5-light double-chamfered stone mullion window on each floor, each with a hoodmould; and a gable chimney. At the rear the exposed north half of the west side of the wing now has a wagon doorway at ground floor, a small blocked square window to the left and a blocked 4-light mullioned window at 1st floor with a hoodmould; and a damaged stone slate roof with the base of a corbelled chimney at the gable. The rear of the main range and extension to the east each have a mullioned window. INTERIOR: main range altered at ground floor (otherwise not inspected); rear wing has remains of a very wide segmental-arched stone fireplace with chamfered surround, but now lacks its upper floor. HISTORICAL NOTE: owned by Richard Trotter, who led the Dent "statesmen" to purchase the manor of Dent from the crown in 1670.



Listing NGR: SD7037587610

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484325
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12616/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Le Mare. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].