THE FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE AND ADJOINING COTTAGE TO WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1384080
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Oct-1999
Statutory Address:
THE FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE AND ADJOINING COTTAGE TO WEST, BRIGFLATTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE AND ADJOINING COTTAGE TO WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384080.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 17:38:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE AND ADJOINING COTTAGE TO WEST, BRIGFLATTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Sedbergh
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
SD 64089 91155

Details

SEDBERGH

SD6491 BRIGFLATTS, Marthwaite 162-1/19/378 (East side) 16/03/54 The Friends' Meeting House and adjoining cottage to west (Formerly Listed as: BRIGG FLATTS The Friends' Meeting House and adjoining cottage to west)

GV I

Friends' Meeting House, with integral cottage. Dated 1675 on porch; slightly altered in C18. Mixed random rubble, mostly white-washed, graduated stone slate roof. Simple rectangular plan on east-west axis (at right-angles to lane) with integral 1-bay cottage at west end and 2-storey porch next to junction with this. EXTERIOR: the cottage is 2 low storeys and the meeting house is one storey to the same height, the whole range 1:1:3 windows, with a plinth to the main range. The cottage has one 3-light mullioned window on each floor, and a short square gable chimney. The porch is 2-storeyed and gabled, has a round-headed outer doorway with chamfered surround, a square-headed inner doorway with a heavy pegged oak door and simple wrought-iron furnishings. Over the outer doorway there is a C20 replica of an original datestone with raised lettering "Anno / Do / 1675" over a 5-pointed star, and at 1st floor a round-headed 1-light window with chamfered surround and hollow spandrels. The main range has two 3-light windows at mid level, both with chamfered mullions and straight stone-slate drip courses over them. To the right 2 similar windows vertically-aligned, the upper (lighting the gallery) without a drip-course. INTERIOR: muntin-and-rail panelling to walls, with plain benches; raised bench against south wall with simple panelled front and rail with ball finials to stair top. Gallery to north side and both ends (added 1711) supported by wooden columns, protected by wooden turned-baluster railings and approached by a wide wooden staircase (opposite the door) at the foot of which wooden gates form an enclosure for sheepdogs; west end partitioned with wooden panelling on both levels to form Warden's cottage. HISTORICAL NOTE: third oldest Friend's Meeting House.



Listing NGR: SD6408691159

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484512
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12877/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].