CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1384237
Date first listed:
04-Dec-1958
Date of most recent amendment:
22-May-2000
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET SOUTH

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384237.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:14:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
High Peak (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 04151 94830

Details

GLOSSOP

SK0494 CHURCH STREET SOUTH, Old Glossop 921-1/11/66 (West side) 04/12/58 Church of All Saints (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET SOUTH, Old Glossop (West side) Parish Church of All Saints)

GV II

Parish church. C14, largely rebuilt 1837 by Matthew E Hadfield and JG Weightman, nave remodelled 1913 by Charles Hadfield and chancel added 1924 by M Hadfield. Coursed millstone grit and ashlar with ashlar dressings, coped gables with kneelers and Welsh slate roofs. PLAN: west tower with spire, nave with aisles and south porch, ashlar banded chancel with north chapel and south organ chamber and vestry. EXTERIOR: west tower has angle buttresses with set-offs, square headed west doorway with pointed arch surround and above 3-light pointed arch window and clock. Belfry has single 2-light bell openings under triangular hoodmoulds to each face. Octagonal broached spire with 2 sets of gabled lucarnes. Nave has five 2-light square headed clerestory windows to each side and aisles each have 5 unusual 2-light square headed mullion windows with tracery and linked hoodmoulds each with cross gabled roofs visible behind crenellated parapet. South porch has nodding ogee arch and pinnacles, the side walls slightly curved. North chapel has double gable and 2 square headed 2-light tracery windows. South organ chamber plain with coped parapet and attached lower vestry with buttresses with weathered cut-offs. Chancel has 2 higher set square headed 2-light mullion windows with tracery to each side and canted east wall with tall flanking buttresses, weathered coping and plinth has deeply recessed round headed opening with blind tracery panel below and large circular window with tracery. INTERIOR: lower courses of tower include reused medieval masonry. C14 arch re-erected in north chapel. Tower arch with hollow chamfers. Ringing chamber with open work gallery. 5 bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches, octagonal piers and crenellated capitals. Paired clerestory windows in deeply splayed openings, inner arches supported on central octagonal shaft. Nave has very shallow boarded ceiling with transverse ribs on shaped wooden cornices, aisles have cross gables boarded with shallow scissor braces. Deeply moulded chancel arch. Chancel has 2 full plain arches to chapel, the inner order dying into responds. Ogee headed glazed openings to vestry, organ and gallery. Sanctuary with shallow recess beyond reredos, with heavy moulded arch and traceried stone gallery. 4 bay roof with arched braces. Priests door to north in projecting surround and trefoil headed piscina and sedilia. Fittings include choir stalls with traceried front rails. Elaborate wooden polygonal pulpit with scenes in relief under traceried canopies on clustered marble shaft. Some C19 glass reused from the old church. In tower, an unusual mural monument to members of the Wood family, dated 1874, white stone surround with segmental pedimented pilasters and seated figures framing the sarcophagus over which stands an angel bearing laurel crown. Putti heads to base corbels. (Parish Church of All Saints. Guide.: Glossop: 1989-).



Listing NGR: SK0415194830

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484671
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Parish Church of All Saints Guide, (1989)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16805/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adrian Shaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].