ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST CHARLES BORROMEO AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1384309
Date first listed:
22-May-2000
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST CHARLES BORROMEO AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY, WOOLLEY BRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST CHARLES BORROMEO AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384309.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:11:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST CHARLES BORROMEO AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY, WOOLLEY BRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
High Peak (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 01612 96195

Details

GLOSSOP

SK0196SE WOOLLEY BRIDGE ROAD, Hadfield 921-1/4/50 (South side (off)) Roman Catholic Church of St Charles Borromeo and attached Presbytery

II

Roman Catholic church and attached presbytery. 1858, by JG Weightman, ME Hadfield and George Goldie, Lady chapel added 1888, alterations 1918-22 and north chancel chapel added 1940. MATERIALS: coursed rock-faced millstone grit with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs with coped gables, kneelers and cross finials. STYLE: Gothic Revival. PLAN: south-west tower, nave with north and south aisles and north porch, chancel with north and south chapels. Presbytery attached to south-east. EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth. Tower with double chamfered plinth has polygonal south-west stair turret, 3 stages with to south 2 round windows and above paired lancets in single pointed arch opening, to west moulded pointed arch doorway with plank door and elaborate iron hinges, above small lancet. Third stage has single 2-light pointed arch bell openings to each face, topped with ashlar parapet. West front of nave has 2 small lancets and above 2 tall lancets with between carved figure under gabled canopy, above circular window with trefoil tracery. Aisle has double lancet in single pointed arch surround. North front has off-centre gabled porch with pointed arch doorway and double plank doors with iron hinges. Single window to right and 4 windows to left all double lancets in pointed arch surrounds. Above 6 circular clerestory windows. South front has 3 double lancets, gabled confessional and then single triple lancet, above 6 circular clerestory windows. East apsidal chancel has 2 circular clerestory windows to each side and 3 tall lancets to east. Presbytery attached to south-east by covered walkway. The presbytery a double-gabled building with wing, clustered stacks and porch, the windows with mullions and transoms. INTERIOR: church plastered. 5 bay nave arcades with round piers and cushion capitals with simple bases. Large chamfered chancel arch. Nave roof with paired rafters with alternate arched braces resting on carved stone corbels. Chancel roof ceiled. FITTINGS: include large freestone and marble reredos with niches containing carved figures under crocketed and pinnacled canopies and gilt angels to extreme left and right. Stone altar with marble columns and carved angels flanking the crown of thorns. Stone polygonal pulpit with carved scenes, on marble shafts, 1894. Stone font on pedestal with claws. Many of the wooden fittings date from the 1930s and 1950s. STAINED GLASS: includes south aisle windows by Mayer & Co of Munich.





Listing NGR: SK0161296195

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484743
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16805/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adrian Shaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].