CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1384458
Date first listed:
08-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384458 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 19:04:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 54839 04696

Details

WIGAN

SD50SW CHURCH STREET, Lamberhead Green 24-1/4/130 (East side) Church of St John the Divine

II

Church. 1830-32, by Rickman and Hutchinson (dated 1832 at west end). Red brick in English garden wall bond, with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Gothick style. PLAN: 9-bay nave with galleried north and south aisles under carried-down roofs (except to the westernmost bay), short sanctuary. EXTERIOR: the gabled west facade, which is symmetrical, has clasping corner pilasters, with a small blind lancet in each, terminating as stone turrets which have louvred lancets and embattled parapets; a shallow gabled porch in the centre with buttresses, a 2-centred arched double-chamfered doorway and a steeply-pitched gable (with shield dated 1832) rising into the centre light of the west window, which is a stepped triple-lancet with hood-moulds; a small louvred lancet above, and a stone parapet. The aisles, of 8 narrow bays with simple buttresses which have one offset and a gablet, have one tall lancet in each bay, with sillband and hood-mould, and parapets carried round from the front, and a shallow porch in the westernmost bay, that on the south side with a 2-centred arched moulded stone doorway and that on the north side simpler. The sanctuary, of one short bay, has a stepped triple lancet east window (and C20 additions at ground floor level). INTERIOR: vestibule with symmetrical winding stone staircases to the gallery; 3-sided gallery of 6 x 3 bays with a square-panelled wooden front, supported, by slender cast-iron columns with annular caps and linked by wide segmental arches with open spandrels; moulded plaster wall corbels to a flat ceiling with moulded ribs; original pitch-pine pews with brass umbrella. Forms group with boundary wall to churchyard (qv).





Listing NGR: SD5483904696

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484892
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16696/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Lomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].