Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384482.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2020 at 14:13:52.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 58285 05619



SD5805NW LIBRARY STREET 24-1/7/29 (North East side) 11/07/83 No.16 Prudential Assurance Building


Insurance company office. Dated 1905 over 2nd floor; by Heaton, Ralph and Heaton. Red brick with matching terracotta dressings, roof concealed but probably slate. Rectangular plan at right-angles to street. Flemish Transitional style. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and 4 windows; facing of square terracotta tiles to ground floor which has moulded cornice with trefoil arcading interrupted by corbels of 1st-floor oriel windows; moulded cornices to both upper floors, that to 2nd floor with egg-and-dart enrichment; coupled Dutch gables to centre bays and balustraded parapets to outer bays. The ground floor has the entrance to the left, by a semi-elliptical headed archway with moulded surround including flowers, and an Art Nouveau name plaque above ("PRUDENTIAL / ASSURANCE / BUILDINGS" on shield with foliated surround), opening into a recessed porch which has a mosaic tiled floor lettered "PRUDENTIAL ASSURANCE COMPANY" and a canted doorway to the right with moulded terracotta architrave (originally dark green glazed terracotta, but now painted stone colour) including a bold cornice with a cartouche lettered "P.A.Co.Ltd", and egg-and-dart frieze, and a keyed oculus above; and to the right, an arcade of 4 tall semi-elliptical arched windows with terracotta cusping and linked hood-moulds with finials extended up to hatched shields under the cornice. The 1st floor has canted oriels with parapets lettered "A.1905.D"; and the 2nd floor has shorter windows with unusual zig-zag moulding to the heads. Tall corniced side-wall chimneys. INTERIOR not inspected.

Listing NGR: SD5829005612


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/12807/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Lomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].