34, MARKET PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1384489
Date first listed:
11-Jul-1983
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Dec-1999
Statutory Address:
34, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 34, MARKET PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384489.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Jun-2020 at 18:08:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
34, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 58231 05721

Details

WIGAN

SD5805NW MARKET PLACE 24-1/7/37 (North side) 11/07/83 No.34 (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE Nos.26-38 (Even))

GV II

Shop with offices over. Dated 1905 on gable jetty-bressumer; by Heaton, Ralph and Heaton, as a continuation of Nos 26 to 32 (qv). Red brick in English garden wall bond with sandstone dressings, some timber framing, red tiled roof. Narrow rectangular plan at right-angles to street, with long back extension. C16 vernacular style. 3 storeys and one bay; the ground floor has an altered shop front; the 1st floor has an arcaded window of 3 elliptical-headed lights with blocked colonnette surround; and the 2nd floor has slightly-jettied ornamental timber framing almost matching that of Nos 26 to 32, including a 10-light oriel with Art Nouveau leaded glazing, and a jettied gable with brattished jetty bressumer lettered "1905", and oversailing bargeboarded verges with a finial. INTERIOR not inspected. Forms group with associated Nos 26 to 32 (qv) adjoining to the left, and Nos 36 and 38 (qv) adjoining to the right, all being part of the same scheme.





Listing NGR: SD5823205728

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484923
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16583/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Lomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top