48, MILLGATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1384499
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1975
Statutory Address:
48, MILLGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 48, MILLGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384499.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2020 at 16:39:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
48, MILLGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 58392 05614

Details

WIGAN

SD5805NW MILLGATE 24-1/7/49 (East side) 12/11/75 No.48

GV II

Town house, now shop. Late C17 with mid C18 refronting and remodelling, subsequently further altered and probably reduced. Probably for Alexander Radcliffe. Handmade red brick in Flemish bond with sandstone plinth and dressings, slate roof with cut-down C20 brick chimneys. Double-depth double-fronted plan. Georgian. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and cellar (but probably originally 3 storeys), 5 windows, symmetrical; with a chamfered plinth, rusticated quoins and C19 gutter on brackets. Central doorway with good pedimented doorcase of engaged Ionic columns with dentilled cornice and modillioned pediment; sashed windows without glazing bars at ground floor, unhorned 12-pane sashes at 1st floor, all with raised sills and wedge lintels which have raised keystones and voussoirs. East gable wall with remains of brick drip moulds and bands. INTERIOR: good C18 staircase, half-turn with landing, with cut string, scrolled brackets, 3 slim turned balusters per tread, and ramped moulded handrail; at 1st floor, fielded panel doorcases, and similarly panelled reveals to windows of right-hand front room (with window seats); in rear right-hand room a beam with quarter-round moulding (unstopped) and a fireplace with shouldered surround. HISTORY: probably the house built for Alexander Radcliffe, Mayor of Wigan in 1771, 1776 and 1779, shown in a watercolour painting by Thomas Whitehouse, 1826, now displayed in Wigan Local History Library.





Listing NGR: SD5839205614

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484933
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/12807/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Lomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].