TRENCHERFIELD MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1384508

Date first listed: 14-May-1997

Statutory Address: TRENCHERFIELD MILL, POTTERY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRENCHERFIELD MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384508 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2019 at 01:38:59.

Location

Statutory Address: TRENCHERFIELD MILL, POTTERY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 57831 05132

Details

WIGAN

SD50NE POTTERY ROAD 24-1/2/57 (South side) 14/05/97 Trencherfield Mill

GV II

Cotton spinning mill, now textile workshop, warehouse, museum, offices etc. 1907-8, by Potts, Son and Hennings, for William Woods & Son Ltd.; altered. Iron and steel frame with cladding of red brick in English garden wall bond with dressings of buff terracotta (roof concealed but probably asphalt). Very large main range with tower at north-east corner, engine house attached at right angles near south end of east side with boiler house in south angle of this (and C20 tourist shop attached to north side). Simplified Edwardian Baroque style. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and approximately 15 bays, 2 windows per bay, with brick pilasters, the top floor featured with a sillband, terracotta enrichment to the pilasters, 3-light windows with blocked colonnette mullions, and parapet upstands. Rectangular corner tower with various windows including keyed oculi, and a 3-stage turret with a cornice to the 1st stage, terracotta panels to the 2nd stage lettered "1907" with open pediments above, and a square top stage, banded, with a 3-light window in each side and a steep pyramidal roof. 3-storey 8-window engine house with round-headed windows at 1st floor level and oculi at 2nd floor level, all keyed, in east end a very large lunette with 3 similar oculi above, and hipped roof. INTERIOR: original 1906 4-cylinder triple-expansion tandem steam engine by J & E Woods of Bolton, in working order.





Listing NGR: SD5783105132

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 484942

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing