NUMBER 136 WITH ATTACHED WALL TO THE LEFT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1384521

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1983

Statutory Address: NUMBER 136 WITH ATTACHED WALL TO THE LEFT, 136, STANDISHGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 136 WITH ATTACHED WALL TO THE LEFT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384521 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2019 at 21:23:40.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBER 136 WITH ATTACHED WALL TO THE LEFT, 136, STANDISHGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 58493 06256

Details

WIGAN

SD5806SW STANDISHGATE 24-1/6/71 (West side) 11/07/83 No.136 with attached wall to the left

GV II

Town house with attached screen wall. Large town house, now integrated with No.138 (qv) as hotel. Imported rainwater head dated 1755; altered. Handmade red brick in Flemish bond, with sandstone plinth and dressings, slate roof. Double-depth double-fronted plan (plus C20 back extension). Georgian. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and 3 windows, symmetrical; with a 3-course plinth up to ground-floor sill level, rusticated quoins and modillioned eaves cornice. Central entrance, up a flight of 6 nosed steps flanked by curved stone walls, with a square-headed doorway in a shouldered architrave with keystone, a later panelled door and an overlight with geometric panes; 12-pane sashed windows in the centre and coupled 12-pane sashes in the outer bays, those at 2nd floor shorter and with square panes, and all in moulded architraves with keystones and moulded corbels to the sills. Moulded rainwater head left of centre with raised date "1755" and monogram. Original front-area railings on stone plinth, attached to entrance steps. Attached to left gable is a 2-storey screen wall and archway in similar materials, with panelled pilasters framing a tall elliptical-headed wagon archway with rusticated surround and keystone, a keyed oculus above, and a moulded cornice with blocking course. Rear altered. INTERIOR not inspected, but noted to contain features of interest including staircase. Forms group with No.134 (qv) adjoining to left and No.138 (qv) adjoining to right.



Listing NGR: SD5849306256

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 484955

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing