CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1384568
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, WATER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384568 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 06:35:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, WATER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 58484 05959

Details

WIGAN

SD5805NW WATER STREET 24-1/7/118 Church of St George 24/10/51

II

Church. 1781, damaged by fire 1980, restored 1988. Red brick in Flemish bond with sandstone dressings and rendered plinth, slate roof. Rectangular plan with short rectangular apse. Georgian style. EXTERIOR: gable to road. 2 storeys and 3 bays, symmetrical, with a broad centre breaking forwards slightly and finished as a shaped gable surmounted by a bellcote; with a scored stucco plinth, sillbands to both floors, triglyph frieze and modillioned cornice to the outer bays linked by a band across the centre. The centre has a semi-elliptical headed blank arch containing an open-pedimented Tuscan doorcase with engaged columns framing a round-headed doorway with imposts and keystone, renewed double doors and fanlight with radiating metal tracery; a round-headed niche at 1st floor; a square panel in the gable with the cross of St John; and a rebuilt bellcote which has scrolled supporters and a small round-headed opening with imposts and keystone. The flanking bays each have one keyed round-headed window at 1st floor. The 4-bay side walls have similar round-headed windows on both floors. The apse has a tall round-headed window with moulded architrave and keystone. INTERIOR: not inspected. The rector of Wigan reports that it was entirely gutted by fire, none of the original remaining; but that the new arrangements are "very interesting".





Listing NGR: SD5848405959

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
485003
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/12712/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].