This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ROYAL ALBERT EDWARD INFIRMARY WITH ATTACHED KITCHEN TO REAR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROYAL ALBERT EDWARD INFIRMARY WITH ATTACHED KITCHEN TO REAR

List entry Number: 1384571

Location

ROYAL ALBERT EDWARD INFIRMARY WITH ATTACHED KITCHEN TO REAR, WIGAN LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wigan

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Aug-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 485006

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIGAN

SD50NE WIGAN LANE 24-1/2/122 (West side) 24/08/94 Royal Albert Edward Infirmary, with attached kitchen to rear

II

Main entrance block of hospital. Dated 1873 on porch; altered and extended. Red brick in Flemish bond with some blue brick, sandstone dressings, slate mansard roofs. T-plan formed by main range facing east with rear wing (housing kitchen). Gothic style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus tower, 3 wide bays, symmetrical: recessed centre with central tower flanked by square wings with gabled centres breaking forwards. Chamfered plinth, chamfered sillbands and 4 blue brick bands to both floors, and machicolated eaves cornice. The centre has a rectangular porch with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet and 2-centred arched doorway with chunky semi-columns which have stiff-leaf caps, an extrados inscribed "OPENED BY THEIR ROYAL HIGHNESSES THE PRINCE & PRINCESS OF WALES JUNE 4, 1873", a hood-mould and a steep gable rising through the parapet with a carved shield in the apex. Above the porch is a 2-centred arch with polychrome head containing a window of 2 arched lights; above this a square tower with a lancet window, machicolation, a clockface under a gablet, and a saddleback roof. The wings each have a rectangular bay window at ground floor and a tall 2-centred arched window above, both with 3-light sashes. Kitchen wing to rear. INTERIOR: entrance hall lined with marble tablets listing subscribers.







Listing NGR: SD5842706977

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 58427 06977

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384571 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 10:28:47.

End of official listing