BICKLEIGH COTTAGE GUEST HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1384694
Date first listed:
12-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
BICKLEIGH COTTAGE GUEST HOUSE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384694.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jun-2021 at 04:20:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
BICKLEIGH COTTAGE GUEST HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Tiverton
National Grid Reference:
SS 93762 07668

Details

TIVERTON

SS90NW BICKLEIGH 848-1/8/46 (West side) 12/02/52 Bickleigh Cottage Guest House

GV II

House. Probably C17, truncated for road widening to left in 1906, partly remodelled 1930s, extended late C20. Render on probable cob; wheat reed thatched roofs except for mostly Roman clay tile to right-hand return (overlooking the river); 2 large brick rear lateral stacks at left and right, the 3rd central hall stack truncated. PLAN: original 3-room plan at the front (now truncated from left and 2 rooms plus entrance hall); extended at rear left and right with wings at right angles probably C17 and C18, and wing parallel at rear late C20. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; slightly irregular 3 window range with 1906 oak framed windows with iron casements with leaded glazing. 2-light windows to 1st-floor, the window at far right is a taller transomed window which breaks the eaves under a thatched gable; 4-light windows to ground-floor left and right and 2-light window right of doorway. Buttressed doorway with thatched roof on corbels; oak planked door. 4-bay right-hand return has similar buttressed doorway with thatched roof to 2nd bay from left; C20 windows of various dates. INTERIOR: has original chamfered axial beam in central room and the feet of probable C17 trusses are visible in the rear left-hand wing, the main roof not inspected. Other visible features are mostly probably 1906 including the oak staircase and some panelled doors.





Listing NGR: SS9376207668

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
485148
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13760/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].