WAR MEMORIAL LIBRARY AND HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1384735

Date first listed: 10-Apr-2000

Statutory Address: WAR MEMORIAL LIBRARY AND HALL, ANGEL HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WAR MEMORIAL LIBRARY AND HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384735 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 13:29:27.

Location

Statutory Address: WAR MEMORIAL LIBRARY AND HALL, ANGEL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Tiverton

National Grid Reference: SS 95382 12492

Details

TIVERTON

SS9512 ANGEL HILL, Tiverton 848-1/6/110 (South side) War Memorial Library and Hall

GV II

Public library and hall, commemorating the dead of 1914-18 war. 1928-9 by Dixon and Bamsey of Tiverton. Concrete front, the walling of pink and yellow blocks resembling coursed squared rubble, the details yellow to resemble limestone. Rear wall of red brick. Slated roof. A pair of octagonal concrete chimneys at each end of ridge. STYLE: Tudor style. PLAN: (room names as in 1929): central entrance hall and staircase; Hall of Remembrance, containing memorial plaques, to left, caretaker's flat to right. Assembly, concert or dance hall, with stage, to rear. Smaller assembly or social room in lower ground floor, together with kitchen servery. Library on first floor. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with semi-basement; single-storey hall at rear. 8 windows wide, the left end (with 1 upstairs window) splayed and containing the vehicle entrance in the ground storey. Remaining 7 windows symmetrically arranged with projecting, 1-window entrance porch in the centre. Windows have 3 mullioned-and-transomed lights, those to the ground storey with 2 rows of transoms and continued hoodmoulds. All the windows except those in the semi-basement have small rectangular leaded panes. Above the second-storey windows a moulded cornice and tall parapet. Porch carried out on 2 slightly bulbous Doric columns with matching half-columns against the wall face. From the columns spring round arches, front and sides, the taller front arch with keystone. Above the latter is a circular plaque carrying the town seal, its border with the inscription SIGILLUM OPPIDI DE TYVERTON. Flanking the plaque are the dates 1914 and 1918 and below it the words TIVERTON MEMORIAL. The porch is finished with a triangular gable and 3 ball finials. On each side of the upper storey is a niche with Tudor arch and hoodmould. Within the porch is a plank door with wrought-iron strap hinges. Vehicle entrance to left has a round arch springing from columns like those on the porch. To its right, on the corner, is a niche similar to those on the sides of the porch. On the plinth below the ground-storey windows left of the porch are 3 inscriptions dated 30 May 1928, accompanied respectively by the names LADY HEATHCOAT AMORY, KATHERINE MAUD LAZENBY JP, and MARJORIE LANSDOWN GREGORY. INTERIOR: very simple. Open-well stair, probably of concrete, with iron balustrade and wooden handrail. HISTORY: the Tiverton War Memorial scheme was inaugurated in April 1919. The Angel Hotel, which formerly occupied this site, was acquired and opened as a library on 11 November 1920. An appeal was then launched to raise ยป11,000 for a rebuilding. A watercolour of the proposed building was prepared by Mr Ogden, headmaster of the school of art, who seems to have influenced its design; it was intended to match the early C17 Chilcott's School and the Great House of St George in St Peter Street (qqv). Demolition of the former Angel Hotel (which projected further into the road than the present building) began on New Year's day, 1928, the stone-laying ceremony was on 30 May and the official opening on 3 April 1929. Architects were Capt Dixon and Mr CE Bamsey. Builders were Nicks Bros of Bradninch. Facade supplied by The Wharf Lane Concrete Co of Ilminster.





Listing NGR: SS9538212492

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 June 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 485193

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 June 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/249000
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 June 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/72373

End of official listing