ELMORE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH INCLUDING FRONT BOUNDARY WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1384797
Date first listed:
10-Apr-2000
Statutory Address:
ELMORE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH INCLUDING FRONT BOUNDARY WALL, CHAPEL STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384797.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jun-2021 at 04:18:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
ELMORE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH INCLUDING FRONT BOUNDARY WALL, CHAPEL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Tiverton
National Grid Reference:
SS 95868 12816

Details

TIVERTON

SS9512 CHAPEL STREET, Tiverton 848-1/6/167 (North side) Elmore Congregational Church, including front boundary wall

GV II

Congregational Church. 1843. Squared grey stone rubble with window arches of dressed yellow stone. Slated roof with stone copings to the gable ends. simple oblong building, parallel to the street and set well back. EXTERIOR: side facing the road has 2 round-arched windows with latticed glazing bars. Between them a buttress; diagonal buttress at each end. Round-arched doorway in east gable wall. Gabled bell turret on apex of gable. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: boundary wall of stone rubble, the eastern section with cemented top, that to west with a tiled coping. At each end a square pier with low pyramidical cap, the latter standing on a projecting stone slab. The right-hand cap has been replaced in cement. Similar gate piers towards the western end; pair of iron gates with open quatrefoil panels and lily-head finials to the uprights. The wooden extension at the right-hand end of the chapel is not included in the listing. HISTORY: White's `Directory of Devonshire' described this as the Independent Chapel in Elmore Street (the old name for Chapel Street), built in 1843 at a cost of »750.



Listing NGR: SS9586812816

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
485256
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16623/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].