ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH AND PRESBYTERY (SION HOUSE)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1384851

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Apr-2000

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH AND PRESBYTERY (SION HOUSE), LONGDRAG HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH AND PRESBYTERY (SION HOUSE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384851 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 17:53:00.

Location

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH AND PRESBYTERY (SION HOUSE), LONGDRAG HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Tiverton

National Grid Reference: SS 94760 13137

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TIVERTON

SS9413 LONGDRAG HILL, Tiverton 848-1/5/347 (South side) 12/02/52 Roman Catholic Church and Presbytery (Sion House) (Formerly Listed as: SOUTH MOLTON ROAD Roman Catholic Church and Presbytery)

GV II

Roman Catholic Church and attached presbytery. 1836-9, to the designs of GA Boyce, on land given by the Chichesters of Calverleigh Court. Church in Gothic Revival style and Sion House in Tudor Gothic Style. CHURCH EXTERIOR: 4-bay nave and 2-bay chancel, in Gothic Revival style with offset buttresses and hoodmoulds over windows and west door. Chancel has cinquefoil-headed lights, and 4-light east window with elaborate rose above similar lights. Nave has 2-light windows with quatrefoils above cinquefoil-headed lights; small quatrefoil light in west gable, above porch with offset corner buttresses and pointed moulded arch set on engaged shafts. CHURCH INTERIOR: has shallow 4-centred arch braces to ceiling; coloured glass borders to windows. PRESBYTERY EXTERIOR: of 2 storeys, symmetrically composed with double-gabled west front; this has flat-headed Gothic-style windows, the upper tier distinguished by the mouchettes set above ogee-arched cinquefoil-headed lights. Other elevations have mullioned windows, the left-hand gable adjoining the church having a crest set above mullioned windows with C16-style pointed-arched lights. PRESBYTERY INTERIOR: not inspected. A distinctive group by a notable local architect. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: 1989-: 811).





Listing NGR: SS9476013137

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 485310

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 811

End of official listing