BRIDEWELL HOUSE INCLUDING IRON RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1384894

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Apr-2000

Statutory Address: BRIDEWELL HOUSE INCLUDING IRON RAILINGS, ST ANDREW STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIDEWELL HOUSE INCLUDING IRON RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384894 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2019 at 18:19:43.

Location

Statutory Address: BRIDEWELL HOUSE INCLUDING IRON RAILINGS, ST ANDREW STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Tiverton

National Grid Reference: SS 95431 12228

Details

TIVERTON

SS9512 ST ANDREW STREET, Tiverton 848-1/6/264 (East side) 12/02/52 Bridewell House including iron railings (Formerly Listed as: ST ANDREW'S STREET, Tiverton (East side) Police Station (former))

GV II

Police station, converted to flats. 1846, restored 1978 by the Devon Historic Buildings Trust. Local volcanic trap to the rear, mostly stuccoed; front elevation ashlar. Slate roof concealed behind parapet; end stacks with deep projecting cornices; cast-iron rainwater goods. Italianate style. 2 rooms wide. One room deep with central entrance and rear centre projection. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement. Symmetrical 3-bay front with rusticated clasping pilasters to the first floor. Deep moulded eaves cornice on dentil brackets with parapet above. Platband at first-floor level. Centre bay broken forward and taller, also has rusticated pilasters with the eaves cornice broken out round them. Steps up to very tall, imposing, round-headed doorway with hollow-chamfered rusticated arch and keyblock. 2-leaf panelled door with sunk panels and fanlight with small panes and external grille. Granite blocks flank the steps up to the front door. Horizontal ribbon window above doorway has proud eaved architrave. Ground floor front windows are tripartite with square-section mullions and deep sills on brackets. Windows (all probably renewed) glazed with 12-pane hornless sash in centre and 4-pane in outer lights. First-floor windows have proud plain architraves and are glazed with 12-pane sashes. Barred basement windows also glazed with 12-pane sashes. End stacks behind ramped walls. Return walls are blind, except for basement door down steps on right return. The left return wall retains a painted pointing finger and sign POLICE STATION. Rear elevation ground floor not seen. First floor 12-pane sashes with proud eared architraves and 4-pane casements to rear of main block. INTERIOR: not accessible at time of survey. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: iron railings to basement area have diagonal standards and leaf finials. This is an impressive building with some unusual and boldly-executed architectural detail in the tradition of the earlier C18 Ordnance Board..



Listing NGR: SS9543112228

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 485353

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing