CHILCOT SCHOOL INCLUDING NUMBER 4 AT REAR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1384948
Date first listed:
12-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
10-Apr-2000
Statutory Address:
CHILCOT SCHOOL INCLUDING NUMBER 4 AT REAR, 4, ST PETER STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384948.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2021 at 15:59:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHILCOT SCHOOL INCLUDING NUMBER 4 AT REAR, 4, ST PETER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Tiverton
National Grid Reference:
SS 95378 12585

Details

TIVERTON

SS9512 ST PETER STREET, Tiverton 848-1/6/306 (West side) 12/02/52 Chilcot School, including No.4 at rear (Formerly Listed as: ST PETER STREET Chilcot School and No.4)

GV II*

Includes: No.4 ST PETER STREET Tiverton. Council meeting room and house, formerly school and headmaster's house. Dated 1611; minor additions at rear. MATERIALS: squared purplish stone rubble with most details in dressed limestone, possibly from Beer; the front doorway appears to be of a local volcanic stone, refaced with cement. Storehouse rendered. Slated roofs with stone parapets on the gable ends; storehouse roof of corrugated asbestos. C20 metal ventilator on centre of ridge. House has stone chimney (probably C19) at front end and red brick chimney at rear. PLAN: school consists of an open hall along the street frontage with a through-passage at the left-hand end; gallery above the passage. Headmaster's house lies behind, at right to the right-hand end. Opposite it, to the left of the courtyard, is a 2-storey building (probably a C19 addition) with a storehouse adjoining. EXTERIOR: school single-storey. Front has 4 mullioned and transomed windows of 4 lights each with king mullions; ogee-moulded mullions, continued hoodmoulds. At left-hand end is a round-arched doorway with moulded jambs, imposts and archivolt; keystone projects, and appears originally to have had a pendant. Hoodmould with lozenge terminals. Studded plank door, much repaired with round-arched wicket-gate cut into it. Above the door is a square moulded plaque with inscription: Robert Comin als Chilcot borne in this towne founded this free English Schoole and indowd it with maintenance for ever anno dni. 1611. Above the plaque is a 2-light mullioned gallery window with continued hoodmould. Projecting plinth with chamfered coping of volcanic stone. Moulded corbel table under the eaves. Rear wall has 2 windows to left, matching those at the front. Rear doorway to passage has Tudor arch with straight hoodmould; masonry encased in cement. Rear extension, forming in the ground storey a lobby to the rear courtyard, has a plain segmental stone arch and a studded plank door. Headmaster's house is 2-storey with a 3-window front facing the courtyard. Centre doorway concealed by C19 or C20 gabled porch. Ogee-moulded, stone-mullioned windows; those in ground storey are of 4 lights with hoodmoulds and relieving arches, those above are of 3 lights at either end and 2 lights in the middle. Rear gable wall (prominent in the view from Exe Bridge) has 2 stone-mullioned windows in each storey. Those in ground storey have 3 lights to left and 2 to right; those in second storey have 2 lights, the left light of the iron casements with small oblong leaded panes. INTERIOR: through-passage divided from schoolroom by a stone-rubble wall containing a Tudor-arched limestone doorway with ovolo and ogee mouldings, carved spandrels and large pyramid-like stops; studded plank double doors with moulded ribs. Schoolroom plain. In rear wall to right a segmental-headed fireplace with double-ogee moulding. barrel-vaulted ceiling with moulded ribs having carved bosses at the intersections. Gallery woodwork is probably entirely of 1907; a plaque records that in that year the school was incorporated into a gymnasium. Interior of house not inspected. HISTORY: Robert Chilcot was the brother-in-law of George Slee (qv The Great House of St George, St Peter's Street), another Tiverton wool merchant and the nephew of Peter Blundell (qv Old Blundells' School), a wool merchant with Tiverton links. An outstanding example of a school of this period, Tiverton also boasting Blundell's School (qv).







Listing NGR: SS9537812585

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
485407
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/15075/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman Hopkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].