NEWPLACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1384960

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Apr-2000

Statutory Address: NEWPLACE, SEVEN CROSSES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEWPLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384960 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2019 at 18:44:48.

Location

Statutory Address: NEWPLACE, SEVEN CROSSES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Tiverton

National Grid Reference: SS 94695 12700

Details

TIVERTON

SS9412 SEVEN CROSSES ROAD, Tiverton 848-1/6/250 (North side) 14/12/72 Newplace (Formerly Listed as: WELLBROOK STREET Newplace)

II

Large detached house. c1770s but probably a remodelling of an earlier building; 1927 addition. Renovations from the late 1960s to 1995. Rendered mass wall construction; tiled roof; stacks with rendered shafts. PLAN: sited on the outskirts of Tiverton with the West Exe area developed by Heathcoat in the C19 now lapping up to the garden. Asymmetrical plan, 3 rooms wide with entrance to right of centre, now into heated entrance hall with stair to rear. Owner reports evidence of blocked windows and doors, as well as burnt ceiling beams when the house was re-rendered and the asymmetrical plan may indicate an C16 or C17 3 room and through-passage house. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. 3:1:1-window front with a 2-storey porch to the right of centre, Parapet above finely-moulded cornice. At the left end a single-storey addition in a sympathetic style was added in 1927, plans in the possession of the owner. Doorcase with fluted pilasters and panelled reveals below a deep flat porch hood on shaped brackets; 6-panel front door. The porch has sash windows in square embrasures with round-headed glazing bars. To the left of the porch the house has outer tripartite sashes with 12 panes in the centre and 4 in the outer lights; central windows with 12-pane sashes. Single-storey addition at the left end has round-headed windows and a hipped slate roof behind a plain parapet. The right return of the house has a very pretty Georgian bay window with curved sides and small panes and a central doorway; one first floor tripartite sash. The rear elevation has mostly late C19 or C20 timber casements and sashes but preserves the C18 stair window which has a round head in a square embrasure and timber spandrels. A stone rubble outbuilding with a corrugated iron roof is attached to the rear right corner of the house at right angles and is probably c1800 with 3 round-headed windows in the right side with small-pane windows and a Tudor arched doorway in the end wall with a small-pane glazed C20 door. INTERIOR: features of interest include white Italian marble chimney-pieces; stair c1920s with deep handrail and square-plan turned balusters. Pretty c1790s round-headed panelled door with moulded doorcase between entrance hall and left end room. HISTORY: the owner reports that the name of the house has changed several times. Title deeds reputed to begin in the late C19.



Listing NGR: SS9469512700

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 485419

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing