LITCHDON POTTERY INCLUDING BOTTLE KILNS AND ALL BUILDINGS ON THE SITE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1385202

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: LITCHDON POTTERY INCLUDING BOTTLE KILNS AND ALL BUILDINGS ON THE SITE, 10 AND 11, LITCHDON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITCHDON POTTERY INCLUDING BOTTLE KILNS AND ALL BUILDINGS ON THE SITE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385202 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 11:45:04.

Location

Statutory Address: LITCHDON POTTERY INCLUDING BOTTLE KILNS AND ALL BUILDINGS ON THE SITE, 10 AND 11, LITCHDON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Barnstaple

National Grid Reference: SS 56008 32886

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARNSTAPLE

SS5632 LITCHDON STREET 684-1/5/187 (North East side) 11/03/87 Nos.10 AND 11 Litchdon Pottery, including bottle kilns and all buildings on the site

GV II

Showrooms and pottery. Showroom to left of Litchdon Street frontage 1886-7. By WC Oliver of Barnstaple. Former showroom to right may be slightly earlier. Pale cream brick with horizontal bands and window arches of red brick; stone and terracotta detailing. Slated roofs with crested red ridge-tiles, except for the right-hand showroom, which is covered with corrugated asbestos. Cream brick chimney on each side wall, the left-hand chimney with ornamental pots. Buildings consist of showrooms on Litchdon Street frontage, the right-hand side converted to storeroom. In centre an archway with building above, leading to warehouses, 2 bottle kilns and other industrial buildings in 2 long wings at rear. The site extends back to Trinity Street. Showrooms on frontage are in 2 parts: 2-storeyed range to left, extending over archway, 3-storeyed range to right. The left-hand range, which is the better of the 2, is 4-window range. To left, 2 large display windows, the glass in upper part decorated with foliage and, in gilt lettering, the inscriptions reading BY APPOINTMENT TO H.M. THE QUEEN and BY APPOINTMENT TO H.R.H. PRINCESS CHRISTIAN. Doorway with pointed arch on splayed corner to right. Above, across whole front, an entablature with coved underside and frieze of terracotta panels decorated with flowers and foliage. Upper storey has mullioned-and-transomed window, also with coloured glass. The terracotta frieze is continued below it, and at either side are more terracotta panels decorated with birds and squirrels. Above window on the roof, a goblet with imitation timber framing. Range to right is 2-window range in 2nd storey, the left-hand window set in the splayed corner. Ground storey has been altered, but on the splay is a blocked doorway with moulded stone 2-centred arch enclosed by a rectangular carved stone frame. 2nd-storey windows are of 2 lights to left and 3 lights to right. These have chamfered mullions and moulded pointed arches of stone, the latter with relieving arches of red brick; in the heads of the arches are red and crack-glazed tiles decorated with flowers and foliage. 3rd-storey has 3 windows, each of 2 lights with plain stone mullions; cill-band of glazed blue tiles. Heavily moulded top cornice of stone and brick with imitation mechicolations. INTERIOR and rear buildings not inspected, but left-hand showroom retains some of its original decoration. This may be the showroom refurbished in 1903; ceiling of `Tynecastle' in Louis XV style, anaglypta frieze by Owen Davies of London, who designed pottery for Brannam's. HISTORICAL NOTE: the pottery dated from at least 1830, possibly from C17; it was acquired before 1840 by the Brannam family who ran it until 1979. It is now owned by Candy & Co Ltd of Newton Abbot. (Barnstaple Castle Records, Committee Minute Book, 26.1.87; Brannam P: A Family Business: 1982-; Devon County Sites and Monuments Register, Exeter; North Devon Journal: 4.11.1886: 1886-; North Devon Journal: 18.2.1887: 1887-; North Devon Journal: 18.6.1903: 1993-).



Listing NGR: SS5602532901

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 485664

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brannam, P , A Family Business, (1982)
'North Devon Journal' in 18 June, (1903)
'Barnstaple Castle Records: Committee Minute Book' in 26 January, (1987)
'North Devon Journal' in 4 November, (1886)
'North Devon Journal' in 18 February, (1887)

End of official listing