WEST BROMPTON STATION INCLUDING BOOKING HALL AND TRAIN SHED AND STAIRCASES AND RETAINING WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1385365
Date first listed:
03-Oct-2000
Statutory Address:
WEST BROMPTON STATION INCLUDING BOOKING HALL AND TRAIN SHED AND STAIRCASES AND RETAINING WALL, OLD BROMPTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST BROMPTON STATION INCLUDING BOOKING HALL AND TRAIN SHED AND STAIRCASES AND RETAINING WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385365 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 13:07:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEST BROMPTON STATION INCLUDING BOOKING HALL AND TRAIN SHED AND STAIRCASES AND RETAINING WALL, OLD BROMPTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Kensington and Chelsea (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 25382 78021

Details

TQ 2578 SW OLD BROMPTON ROAD 249/52/10211 West Brompton Station, including 03-OCT-00 Booking Hall, train shed,staircases and retaining wall II

Underground station. Opened 12th April 1869 as an extension of the Metropolitan Railway and first District Line through trains ran on 1st August 1870. Designed by Sir John Fowler, engineer to both companies, in Classical style. Some alterations to Booking hall c1928 and refurbished c1990. Booking Hall is built of white Suffolk bricks with slate pavilion roof. Left side brick chimneystacks but tall original stacks replaced. together with original cresting. One storey , originally symmetrical with four round-headed arched windows with keystone linked by impost blocks flanking larger similar central door. In 1928 the former ladies' room on the right was rebuilt for retain space and the two right hand windows changed into a large window under segmental-headed arch with keystone. The lower part has been altered in the later C20. Left side retains one original window but the left window was later converted into a secondary entrance leaving the outline of the original arch visible. Panelled parapet, moulded cornice and panelled band below the cornice. Parapet originally had urn finials at the corners and ball finials to the centre. Originally there was also on each side a lower height porch with round-headed arch with central keystone but only the right hand one survives with blocked doorcase. Ticket hall refurbished in later C20. Rear wall on to train shed has five round-headed arches, three of which are blocked. Original train shed with brick blank arcaded retaining walls with round-headed arches with keystones and impost blocks, extending also along full length of one platform. Engine shed is about 66 feet long having 6 bays of brick arches at the sides and roof with 9 bays of segmental-headed iron trusses supporting wooden roof with central glazed lantern and wooden framed end clad in vertical planks and supported on a square wooden pier and pilaster on each side with moulded pendants. Angled roof appears to have been a prototype for the 1870s Earl's Court and Ealing Broadway stations. Twin cast iron footbridges for departing and arriving passengers both survive, although the exit footbridge is no longer linked with the street These have decorative balustrading, square newel posts and mahogany handrails and are supported on decorated cast iron columns. Cast iron bridges between with criss-cross design balustrading. Some late C20 brick infill below staircases. One of a small number of 1860s underground stations which are the first in the world, West Brompton being unusual in retaining its original Booking Hall , although with some alterations. It is the best preserved example of a station on the District Line.

Laurence Menear "London's Underground Stations" p14. David lawrence "Underground Architecture" p15

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
485827
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lawrence, D, Underground Architecture, (1994), 15
Menear, L, Londons Underground Stations, (1985), 14

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16580/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].