CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1385417
Date first listed:
27-Sep-1972
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, COLLEGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385417.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:38:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, COLLEGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Southwark (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33662 72110

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3372 COLLEGE ROAD 636-1/16/230 (West side) 27/09/72 Church of St Stephen

II

Church. 1867-75. By Banks and Barry. Ragstone with ashlar dressings; slate roof. Early English style PLAN: rectangular plan with apsidal chancel facing south-east, narrower and lower than nave. Aisles with lean-to roof; tower to north-east elevation, 2nd bay from (liturgical) west end. To (liturgical) north-east and south-east, gabled porch and 1-storey extension respectively. EXTERIOR: Perpendicular tower of 4 stages with corner buttresses has blank, 3-arched arcade above moulded round-arched entrance. Single lancet on each face of 3rd stage; large louvred bell opening with moulded surround to each face of 4th stage. Broach spire. Large traceried (liturgical) west window. Groups of 3 lancets with trefoil tracery between stepped buttresses to aisles; gabled clerestory. INTERIOR: painting of the trial and stoning of St Stephen by Sir E Poynter, 1872. Stained-glass windows by Kempe and (to west end) by M Forsyth, 1952.







Listing NGR: TQ3366272110

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470814
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/01377/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham Turnill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].