CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1385599
Date first listed:
30-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, HERNE HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385599.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 05:41:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, HERNE HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Southwark (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32160 74583

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3274 HERNE HILL 636-1/14/424 (East side) 30/06/54 Church of St Paul

GV II*

Church. 1858. By Street. Coursed rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; pitched slate roof. A rebuilding by Street of a church of 1843-4, damaged by fire, by G Alexander, built by Holland and Hannen. STYLE: Early English. PLAN: long 5-bay nave and western Perpendicular tower part of original church; side aisles with lean-to roofs. Slightly lower chancel as east extension of nave, with extensions to north as vestry, to south as organ chamber. EXTERIOR: tower with stepped corner buttresses has entrance beneath tall traceried window, with twin bell openings above. Spire with flying corner buttresses and pinnacles. Large Decorated stained-glass east window and ground-floor windows with plate tracery; pairs of round windows with quatrefoils to clerestory. Entrance porch in north aisle, 2nd bay from west. INTERIOR: has nave columns with carved crocket capitals; clerestory with trefoil arcading on short marble capitals. Timber arched brace roof to nave. Carved rood screen of 1921; marble and alabaster reredos with carved heads in chancel. Carving by Earp, stained glass (mostly lost in War, some surviving in west windows of aisles) by Hardman. Carved rood screen of 1921.









Listing NGR: TQ3216074583

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471003
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Feb 2007
Reference: IOE01/15966/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Mitzi de Margary. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].