KENNINGTON UNDERGROUND STATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1385635

Date first listed: 21-Aug-1974

Statutory Address: KENNINGTON UNDERGROUND STATION, KENNINGTON PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of KENNINGTON UNDERGROUND STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385635 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 18:12:50.

Location

Statutory Address: KENNINGTON UNDERGROUND STATION, KENNINGTON PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Southwark (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 31631 78286

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3178 KENNINGTON PARK ROAD 636-1/7/457 (East side) 21/08/74 Kennington Underground Station

II

Underground station. 1890-1925. Exterior by TP Figgis. For the City and South London Railway. Red brick with white stone dressings; brick parapet and, to rear, large lead dome resting on roughcast drum and surmounted by small cupola. Classical 1-storey building with 2-bay front, canted corner, and 6 bay return to Braganza Street. Stone pilasters resting on plinth and supporting entablature define bays. Bay to left front is wider and has shop window under elliptical arch. To right, a doorway with moulded stone architrave, frieze and cornice. Main entrance on canted corner with new canopy and tiled parapet. Set-back entrance bay to right end of return elevation has round-arched doorway (now blocked up) with brick voussoirs, keystone and entablature on consoles. Altered booking hall with roof lantern and plain tiling. Dome housed the workings of a hydraulic lift. INTERIOR: not inspected. Of historical interest as one of the first stations on the original City and South London Railway and the only one of those to retain much of its original character.







Listing NGR: TQ3163178286

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 471039

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lawrence, D, Underground London, (1994)
Menear, L, Londons Underground Stations, (1985)

End of official listing