CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1385670
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, LORDSHIP LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385670.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 16:41:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, LORDSHIP LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Southwark (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 34430 73273

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3473SW LORDSHIP LANE 636-1/70/493 (South West side) 22/02/85 Church of St Peter

GV II

Church. 1873-75 and 1885. By Charles Barry Jnr. Tower completed 1885 when the west part of the nave was begun. Recently restored. MATERIALS: Kentish ragstone with ashlar dressings and steeply pitched slated roofs; lavish polychrome interior. STYLE: Geometric Gothic. PLAN: 6-bay nave, aisles with lean-to roofs, apsed chancel. Tower to north east. Geometrical Gothic style. EXTERIOR: gabled entrance in west end of north elevation. Windows are mainly cusped lancets, in triplets to aisles, single to apse with trefoils above, the central one larger; pairs of leaded windows to clerestory. Large traceried west window with stained glass, c1891. Tall buttressed tower with slender slated broach spire has blind arcading above gabled entrance on north face; groups of 3 tall louvred bell openings to each face beneath spire. INTERIOR: has marble columns to nave arcades, coloured brickwork and terracotta diapering. Open timber roof with some painting, especially to chancel. Choir vestry and organ chamber (to right of chancel) now a private chapel (organ relocated to west end). Pews recently dismantled and interior now open-plan. Floor rebuilt in concrete with steps up from lower nave to aisles. FITTINGS: Victorian fittings include metal light brackets, pulpit, font, reredos.









Listing NGR: TQ3443073273

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471074
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15906/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Deborah Bullen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].