CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1385687
Date first listed:
27-Sep-1972
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, LYNTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385687.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2020 at 03:42:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, LYNTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Southwark (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 34535 78487

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3478SE LYNTON ROAD 636-1/29/510 (South side) 27/09/72 Church of St Augustine

GV II*

Church. 1875-1878, west end 1882-3. By Henry Jarvis and Son, architects; vestries added 1907 by Hesketh & Stokes. MATERIALS: red brick with stone dressings and pitched slate roof. STYLE: Early English. PLAN: Lofty 5-bay nave with clerestory, aisles and straight-ended ambulatory to 3-bay chancel; concrete vaulted undercroft. North extension of 1 bay at crossing and gabled porch to west end of north aisle. EXTERIOR: east tower designed but never built. Large west window with tiers of lancets, rose window in gable; entrances to centre and right below. Ground-floor windows double lancets with 5-light grouped lancets inside. Plate-traceried clerestory windows with groups of 3 lancets, 2-light openings inside. INTERIOR: has richly moulded arches to nave on figure-8 shaped sandstone piers with carved leaf capitals, clerestory windows behind arcade above string course. Slightly higher vaulted chancel with stone ribs and brick panels. North organ chamber and south chapel. Church established in poor area by Richard Foster.







Listing NGR: TQ3453578487

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471091
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05705/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].