CHURCH OF ST ANTHOLIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1385735
Date first listed:
27-Sep-1972
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANTHOLIN, NUNHEAD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANTHOLIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385735 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 05:44:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANTHOLIN, NUNHEAD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Southwark (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 34748 75626

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3475 NUNHEAD LANE 636-1/13/542 (South side) 27/09/72 Church of St Antholin

II

Church. 1877. By Ewan Christian, restored after war damage, 1957 by Laurence King. Red brick, Early English style with lancet windows. Aisled. Of special interest because of reredos from Wren's Church of St Antholin, Watling Street, demolished in the 1870s. INTERIOR: this timber structure, also damaged but skilfully restored, has Fluted Corinthian half-columns supporting 3-bay entablature with segmental pediments at either side. Centre section has blank arches with gold angels' heads in spandrels above decalogue; acanthus carving on panel beneath. Flanking sections, with swags of carved fruit and flowers between capitals, inscribed with the Lord's Prayer and the Creed. Scrolled cresting probably replaced.



Listing NGR: TQ3474875626

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471145
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04552/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].