AIR SHAFT TO THE ROTHERHITHE TUNNEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1385839
Date first listed:
01-Jul-1983
Statutory Address:
AIR SHAFT TO THE ROTHERHITHE TUNNEL, ROTHERHITHE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of AIR SHAFT TO THE ROTHERHITHE TUNNEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385839.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2020 at 13:51:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
AIR SHAFT TO THE ROTHERHITHE TUNNEL, ROTHERHITHE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Southwark (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 35520 80171

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3580 ROTHERHITHE STREET 636-1/3/657 (North West side) 01/07/83 Air shaft to the Rotherhithe Tunnel

GV II

Air shaft 'drum' to Rotherhithe Tunnel. 1904-08. By Sir Maurice Fitzmaurice, engineer. For the LCC. Red brick with Portland stone dressings, no roof. Circular single-storey building containing staircase down to tunnel with 4 ventilation fans at low level. Projecting doorway bay to south with stone quoins and 2 openings with stone surrounds. Window bays around drum articulated by brick pilaster strips rising from granite plinth to stone corbel-bracketed cornice. Coupled narrow window openings, in quoined stone surrounds, have decorative iron grilles with the LCC monogram. The staircase is of iron with wrought balustrade and cast lamp standards. HISTORICAL NOTE: the tunnel was begun in 1904 and opened by the Prince of Wales in 1908. The shaft complements its twin in the King Edward VII Memorial Park, Shadwell (see London Borough of Tower Hamlets).





Listing NGR: TQ3552080171

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471251
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03769/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].