CANADA WHARF AND COLUMBIA WHARF, INCLUDING FORMER ENGINE HOUSE AND BOILER TO SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1385840

Date first listed: 01-Jul-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Sep-1998

Statutory Address: CANADA WHARF AND COLUMBIA WHARF, INCLUDING FORMER ENGINE HOUSE AND BOILER TO SOUTH, ROTHERHITHE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CANADA WHARF AND COLUMBIA WHARF, INCLUDING FORMER ENGINE HOUSE AND BOILER TO SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385840 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 15:27:09.

Location

Statutory Address: CANADA WHARF AND COLUMBIA WHARF, INCLUDING FORMER ENGINE HOUSE AND BOILER TO SOUTH, ROTHERHITHE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Southwark (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 36573 80317

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3680SE ROTHERHITHE STREET 636-1/21/658 (East side) 01/07/83 Canada Wharf and Columbia Wharf, including former engine house and boiler to S (Formerly Listed as: ROTHERHITHE STREET Canada Wharf and Columbia Wharf)

GV II

Complex of granary warehouses. 1864 and 1870-71. By James Edmeston. Southern block (now called Columbia Wharf), with engine house and boiler to south, 1864. To north, Canada Wharf, 1870-71. Canada Wharf being converted into flats with totally rebuilt interior at time of survey. MATERIALS: yellow stock brick with polychrome dressings, part of Columbia Wharf now rendered, coped parapets; slate roof to engine house and part of Canada Wharf, new roof extension to Columbia Wharf. EXTERIOR: Columbia Wharf: 4 storeys, 12 bays to street articulated by giant pilasters merging into parapet. Openings to altered, rendered ground-floor segmental-headed, those to 1st floor with segmental pointed heads, those to 2nd floor flat-headed, with gauged red brick arches. 3rd floor has lozenge-shaped windows with polychrome dressings. Similar details to right return of 9 bays, and river front of 5 storeys, 18 bays with hatch ranks now adapted as doors/canted bays. To south-east is former engine house and boiler room of 2 storeys: coupled windows with pointed and segmental pointed arches to river; north return built out with a 2 bay porch with a pair of ground-floor openings with pointed arches, stone keys and imposts. Hipped slate roof. Canada Wharf: 5-storey river block slightly Moorish in style, articulated by giant buttresses running almost full height of building and linked by heavy, red brick string courses. Segmental, pointed and flat-headed windows distinguish different floor levels, lozenge-shaped openings with polychrome dressings to upper floors of side elevations. Plainer 4-storey buildings running inland with dormer ranges in slate roof and openings with segmental, gauged-brick arches. Altered street elevation with hatch rank to upper floors. INTERIOR: not inspected. The entire group was formerly known as Canada Wharf. Complex



included gabled range of presumed erecting shops in front of Columbia Wharf to street, now demolished except for facades. Canada Wharf noted as being the first building in the country to have silos resting on an iron flooring with ventilation shafts and a vacant space beneath (these no longer exist). Columbia Wharf was divided into 4 compartments, each containing 56 perforated iron boxes fitted to ventilation shafts.



Listing NGR: TQ3657380317

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 471252

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing