SURREY PORTAL OF THE ROTHERHITHE TUNNEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1385849
Date first listed:
01-Jul-1983
Statutory Address:
SURREY PORTAL OF THE ROTHERHITHE TUNNEL, ROTHERHITHE TUNNEL APPROACH

Map

Ordnance survey map of SURREY PORTAL OF THE ROTHERHITHE TUNNEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385849.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 18:33:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
SURREY PORTAL OF THE ROTHERHITHE TUNNEL, ROTHERHITHE TUNNEL APPROACH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Southwark (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 35337 79778

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3579 ROTHERHITHE TUNNEL APPROACH 636-1/6/666 Surrey Portal of the Rotherhithe 01/07/83 Tunnel

II

Entrance to tunnel. 1904-08. By Thomas Blashill, architect; Sir Maurice Fitzmaurice, engineer, following system established with the Blackwall Tunnel. Semicircular arch with roll mould, with spandrels and parapet faced in polished pink granite. Bull-nosed string below parapet which is flanked by slightly battered dies with curved pyramidal cappings. Inscription on parapet reads "This tunnel, constructed by the London County Council was opened by HRH The Prince of Wales KC on the 21st of June 1908. Maurice Fitzmaurice CMG Engineer". Similar to the portals of the Blackwall Tunnel. For entrance on Middlesex Shore see Branch Road and Butcher Row, Shadwell (London Borough of Tower Hamlets).







Listing NGR: TQ3533779778

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471268
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03770/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].