This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1386080



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Salford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Jan-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471504

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ8398NW BLACKFRIARS ROAD 949-1/20/6 (South West side) 21/01/96 No.33 Manchester Tennis and Racquet Club


Tennis and racquet club. c1880. By George T Redmayne, with later alterations. Brick with terracotta dressings, slate and part-glazed roof. Irregularly grouped as T-plan, with main courts buildings ranged parallel to street and set back from it with central wing advanced towards street, housing entrance, and flanking buildings filling in the angles each side. EXTERIOR: entrance block expressed as 3 storeys, with moulded round-arched doorway in flat-roofed porch to right, and round-headed window alongside. Arcaded range of 3 round-headed windows with continuous hoodmould to first floor, and blind round-arched window in raised upper storey. Fluted chimney stack alongside to right hand side. Shallow gabled range to right, with arcade of 4 bays to ground floor, with 3 round-arched windows. Paired windows set beneath wide relieving arch with terracotta panelling in the spandrel beneath gable above. Flat-roofed single-storeyed block to left of entrance, also with round-arched windows and high parapet. INTERIOR: substantially unaltered, with racquets court retaining original surfaces and complete real tennis court together with other principal reception rooms and staircase. HISTORICAL NOTE: the club was founded in 1878, and moved to its present site c1880. Originally it comprised a real tennis court, racquets court and bowling alley, to which a squash court was added as an upper floor in 1925. (Aberdare Lord: Willis Faber Book of Tennis and Racquets: London: 1980-).

Listing NGR: SJ8334798832

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Aberdare, Lord , The Willis Faber Book of Tennis and Rackets, (1980)

National Grid Reference: SJ 83347 98832


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1386080 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 09:18:23.

End of official listing