CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1386145
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1980
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, LIVERPOOL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1386145 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jun-2019 at 22:26:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, LIVERPOOL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Salford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 80013 98621

Details

SALFORD

SJ89NW LIVERPOOL STREET 949-1/4/70 (South side) 18/01/80 Church of St Luke

II*

Parish church. 1865, the chancel chapel added 1875. By George Gilbert Scott. Coursed sandstone rubble with plain-tiled roof. Gothic style with nave with clerestory and aisles. EXTERIOR: lower chancel with semicircular apse and attached chapels to N and S with parallel ridges and end gables. Projecting gabled porch to N. Slim tower over W end with angle buttresses and bell chamber lights with paired lancets. Brooch spire above with lucarnes. Nave of 4 bays, with paired lancets to aisles with foiled circular windows to clerestory. Paired lancets between buttresses to apse, and similar to side chapels but with plate tracery. Stone plinth with continuous sill-band. INTERIOR: quatrefoil piers to arcade, and apse with arcading alternating stained glass windows by Kempe and painted panels over panelled dado. East window possibly by Hardman. Tower supported internally by large circular columns with carved capitals. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-: 395).



Listing NGR: SJ8001398621

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471569
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969), 395

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].