WAR MEMORIAL HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1386198
Date first listed:
06-Nov-1998
Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL HOSPITAL, NORTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WAR MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1386198 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 10:39:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL HOSPITAL, NORTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Horncastle
National Grid Reference:
TF 26075 69810

Details

TF 26 69 27 69 HORNCASTLE NORTH STREET (East side) 1499/7/10002 War Memorial Hospital

GV II

Public dispensary with attached railings and gate, converted to cottage hospital. 1866 converted 1924. Designed by Bellamy & Hardy of Lincoln. White brick with ashlar and red brick dressings. Welsh slate hipped roof with tall brick stacks to rear. Street front has projecting central bay topped with blind attic dormer incribed:-

PUBLIC DISPENSARY ESTABLISHED 1789 BY EDWARD HARRISON MD ----- PATRON SIR JOSEPH BANKS KT THIS BUILDING WAS 1866 IN MEMORY OF SIR HY DYMOKE BART A GENEROUS SUPPORTER OF THIS INSTITUTION

Decorated with carved impost band ashlar moulded and coped gable and cast iron finials. Central entrance arch has painted round headed arch inscribed:- WAR MEMORIAL HOSPITAL, with carved impost band. Set back to eitherside single 3-light windows each with round headed ashlar tops, moulded impost and red sandstone mullions. First floor has moulded ashlar cill band with single central window and flanking 3-light winddows with moulded round headed ashlar tops, carved imposts and ashlar round mullions. Similar single light round headed windows to returns. To left set back slightly later addition with single plain sash to each floor and pedimented gable. Forcourt bounded by low white brick wall topped with ashlar coping and cast iron spearhead railings and central gate. INTERIOR retains original windows and doors plus wooden staircase with painted turned balusters and elaborate cast iron newel post. This dispensary was founded Oct 28th 1789 by Sir Joseph Banks, Lewis Dymoke, Wm Elmhirst, and E Laycock MD, E Harrison MD and John Chislet Surgeon & Apothacery, and this building was built in 1866 at a cost of o1,026.10s.11d including fixtures and fittings.



Listing NGR: TF2607569810

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 23 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471623
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/103642
War Memorials Register, accessed 23 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20409

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16382/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].