This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY APOSTLES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY APOSTLES

List entry Number: 1386630

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY APOSTLES, LONDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Charlton Kings

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 474026

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHARLTON KINGS

SO9621SW LONDON ROAD 630-1/29/84 (South West side) 22/04/50 Church of the Holy Apostles

GV II

Church. 1865-71, with porch and vestry added to west end in 1934 and roof renewed 1970. By John Middleton; patron: Charles Cook-Higgs; builder: William Jones of Gloucester; interior probably by Boulton's of Cheltenham and HH Martyn of Cheltenham. MATERIALS: rough-faced rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings, plain tile roof. PLAN: Gothic Revival, Early Decorated style. 6-bay aisled nave with clerestory, south and north porches, 2-bay transept chapels and angled apse. Chamfered plinth, sill bands. Off-set buttresses between bays. EXTERIOR: projecting south porch with pointed opening and piers with foliate capitals, pointed plank door; sundial, belfry dated 1868 and stepped buttresses. North porch with gable containing clock, cusped doorway. 2-light nave and clerestory windows have individual Decorated-type tracery to heads, alternately coloured voussoirs; triangular heads to clerestory windows. Similar 2-light windows to apse with hoodmoulds and headstops; chancel door to south side has funnel hood. Transept chapels have 3-light windows and small rose windows above to east ends. Large west window and oculus with angel stops and motto 'Gloria etc' on label. To west end are turrets with pinnacles and finials. INTERIOR: elaborately carved, the scheme depicts church reformers in nave, English to north aisle, European to south side; also the Apostles. Windows have slender pilasters and foliate caps with cavetto and hollow moulding and roll-moulded hood with head-stops of reformers and martyrs including: Wycliffe, Tindal, Lady Jane Grey, Edward VI, Catherine Parr, Latimer, Cranmer, Ridley, Coverdale, Hooper (north aisle); south aisle includes Jerome of Prague, Jan Huss, Bucer, Melanchthon, Calvin and Peter Martyr. Nave arcade on column clusters with foliate capitals and double-chamfered arches with continuous hoodmould and carved symbols to stops including serpent and phoenix, end headstops are Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Clerestory has continuous band which projects to form plinths for slender columns between windows. West end has carved band of foliage and flowers, 'Suffer little children..etc' and carved arcade above with scenes from



life and ministry of Christ. Apse is elaborately treated with carved fruit, floral and bird motifs to dado and foliage above with band of foliage. Nave arcade has roundels with symbols of the 4 apostles to clerestory level. Apse: windows have colonnettes of Purbeck marble to sides and alternate black and white stone voussoirs. 2 sedilia and piscina have Purbeck marble columns with foliate capitals, crocketed gables with finials and angel stops with central Caritas. Apse roof supported on short columnar corbels with angel bosses; alabaster reredos has carving of the Last Supper. Apse has Minton tile floor. Transept chapels: 2 pointed double-chamfered moulded arches with alternate grey and white stone heads on column clusters, south chapel is a War Memorial. FITTINGS: carved pulpit, octagonal, shows Jesus preaching. Stone, alabaster and granite font shows Baptism and scenes from Life of Christ inscribed 'One Lord. One Faith. One Baptism. An offering by Revr. Henry George Liddell 1868'. Stained glass to most windows. Roof lowered in 1970-2. HISTORICAL NOTE: proposed tower and spire for west side not built. Higgs (of No.191 London Road (qv)) donated the site in 1862 and »1,000 towards the building cost, although the final cost of approx »7,000 is reputed to have been met by him. Higgs resisted attempts to have the Church consecrated in order to control the appointment of the incumbent, it could not be consecrated until after his death in 1884. Initially known as the Church of the Twelve Apostles, it was the daughter church of the Church of St Mary (qv) and not, as has been supposed, built in protest against the latter's high church tendencies. It forms a group with the Holy Apostles' Old School (qv), also by Middleton and the drinking fountain, London Road (qv). John Middleton designed several churches in Cheltenham including All Saints, All Saints' Road (qv); St Mark, Church Road (qv); St Philip and St James, Gratton Road (qv); and St Stephen, St Stephen's Road (qv). (The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 120; Blake S: Cheltenham's Churches and Chapels AD 773-1883: Cheltenham: 1979-: 38-9; Paget M (ed), Charlton Kings Local History Society: A History of Charlton Kings: Gloucester: 1988-: 128-132; Charlton Kings Local History Society Bulletin: 1986-: 41-43; A Brief History of the Church of the Holy Apostles 1871-1921: Cheltenham: 1921-).





Listing NGR: SO9603121270

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
A Brief History of the Church of the Holy Apostles 1871-1921, (1921)
Blake, S , Cheltenhams Churches and Chapels AD 773-1883, (1979), 38-39
Paget, M , A History of Charlton Kings, (1988), 128-132
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970), 120
'Charlton Kings Local History Society Bulletin' in Charlton Kings Local History Society , (1986)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/225799
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/49549

National Grid Reference: SO 96042 21258

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1386630 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 07:47:27.

End of official listing