SAVOY HOTEL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1386741
Date first listed:
12-Mar-1955
Statutory Address:
SAVOY HOTEL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, BAYSHILL ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1386741.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2020 at 18:18:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
SAVOY HOTEL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, BAYSHILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cheltenham (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 94303 21954

Details

CHELTENHAM

SO9421NW BAYSHILL ROAD 630-1/17/195 (West side) 12/03/55 Savoy Hotel and attached railings

GV II

Villa, now hotel and attached railings. 1847, by Samuel Onley, with later additions and alterations including c1870-80 conservatory to right and c1890s ranges to rear. Stucco with slate roof and iron balustrade (possibly Coalbrookdale). EXTERIOR: main range of 2 storeys with attic and basement, 9 first-floor window range which breaks forward to form stepped facade of 2:1:3:1:2. The 3-window entrance bay is articulated by 2-storey Corinthian pilasters; continuous frieze, architrave and modillion cornice; above, to attic are Tuscan pilasters with continuous cornices and blocking course; central tetrastyle Corinthian porch has frieze, architrave, dentil and modillion cornice; flight of renewed steps to glazed doors in architrave with acanthus modillion cornice. Range to right is recessed more deeply and is blind. Windows: ground and first floors have 1/1 sashes with lugs (blind boxes renewed) in plain reveals with sills on feet, those to ground floor have tooled architraves, frieze and cornice; otherwise 8/8 (basement), 3/3 and 6/1 (attic) sashes. Left facade a 4-window range has 4 similar Corinthian pilasters. Right 3-window range similarly articulated. Glazed conservatory has hipped roof, slender columnettes. INTERIOR: includes open-well staircase with wreathed handrail and ornamental wrought-iron balusters. Shutters to most windows. Main reception room at right has 3 marble fireplaces, one Regency style. Conservatory has Coalbrookdale tile floor. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: to sides of porch a iron balustrade of ornate panels with female masks; there are similar panels to Farnley Lodge, Duoro Road. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Bayshill estate was developed by a joint stock company which purchased land from the Skillicorne family in 1837. By 1843 Henry Davies, in his Guide to Cheltenham, described 'a number of detached villas .. several of which are occupied by resident families of affluence and station, and others are in an unfinished state.' By c1845 the company was bankrupt and Onley bought much Bayshill property. Little considers this to be one of a `superb group (of villas) that make Bayshill Road one of the great roads for architecture in all England'. (Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham: 1993-: 28; Chatwin A: Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork:



Cheltenham: 1975-1984: 48; Little B: Cheltenham: London: 1952-: 76; The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 146; Hart G: A History of Cheltenham: Stroud: 1965-1990: 172-3).





Listing NGR: SO9430721964

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
474137
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Chatwin, A, Cheltenhams Ornamental Ironwork, (1975-1984), 48
Hart, G, A History of Cheltenham, (1965-1990), 172-173
Little, B, Cheltenham, (1952), 76
Sampson, A, Blake, S , A Cheltenham Companion, (1993), 28
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970), 146

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/14553/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stanley Dicker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].