THE GALLERY AT NUMBER 142 DOUGHTY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1387232
Date first listed:
17-May-1999
Statutory Address:
THE GALLERY AT NUMBER 142 DOUGHTY HOUSE, 142, RICHMOND HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GALLERY AT NUMBER 142 DOUGHTY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1387232.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 15:38:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE GALLERY AT NUMBER 142 DOUGHTY HOUSE, 142, RICHMOND HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Richmond upon Thames (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 18391 73950

Details

TQ 1873 RICHMOND HILL (East side) The Gallery at No 142, Doughty House 22/25/10095

GV II

Gallery c1880 for Sir Francis Cook, extended 1915 by Brewer Smith and Brewer for Sir Frederick Cook Stock brick with Portland stone extension to west. Top lit. Eleven bays. Giant Ionic order with balustrade, the lower order containing door and window openings between Doric pilasters. Upper bays glazed with small paned fixed lights, lower bays, some glazed some as door openings with heavy iron gates. Monumental flight of balustraded stone steps to entrance at upper level at north. Interior arranged on two floors. The original gallery of one long gallery with octagon and organ room beyond. Mosaic floor inset in octagon room. Skeleton coffered gilded ceiling. Iron balustraded staircase with mahogony rail to lower level, again subdivided as above, and incorporating collection of columns and mosaic floor. West upper gallery with remains of coffered ceiling and lower loggia, with openings incorporating antiquarian collection of columns, and flanking niches. Heavy iron gates with central bosses. The Builder, 8 October, 1915



Listing NGR: TQ1839173950

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
475164
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 8 October, (1915)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].